1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest a preamp for my Lakland 55-01 based on my prefrences?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Mar 3, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Ok, so right now I've got some Nordy Fat Stacks and a Seymour Duncan preamp in my 55-01. I like the Nordy's, but I feel like the SD preamp is a bit... modern? Some of the tones I get are kind of reminding me of a Spector, which I'm not a fan of at all tonally. I was hoping someone here could recommend me a good preamp that has a push/pull for active/passive to go with the Fat Stacks. Or, if I should maybe consider other Nordy pickups based on what I like.

Well, to put it shortly, I've only ever had 1 P-Bass, but I really like the way it sounded with flats. That's the kind of tone I'm a fan of. I strung the 55-01 with flats, but I'm not getting that vibe at all. I've never really looked into changing preamps or anything, so I'm a total noob at this. If anyone can recommend me a preamp that can give me some sounds similar to what I've asked for, I'd be really happy.

2. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    My 55-01 has Nordy Dual Coils and Bart NTMB-L. I'm in Daytona Beach you're welcome to try it. PM me if you'd like to meet up and run it through it's paces. See if that combo is your cup o' tea.
    Bill

3. Have you checked audereaudio.com? It is a fairly transparent preamp, and I am ordering the classic version soon.

4. I've got Big Singles and a Bart 18v NTMB and I must say I can get an array of tones, from warm and fat to hot and modern. My set up isn't too shrill like some of the MTDs but it's got tons of output so I never have a problem with headroom.

I'd go check out billbern's bass to get an idea.

5. The Aggie in my Valenti was very natural sounding, but thats not what you're looking for , is it?

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not to point out that obvious too much, but keep in mind that there are inherent differences between a 34" scale passive 4-string with a P-pickup, and a 35" active 5-string with dual humbuckers and a preamp. If you truly want a P-bass vibe from a 5-string, I'd probably start with a 34" passive instrument with a P-pickup, and then string that with flats.

But to bring your 55-01 a little closer to the P-bass, besides using flats, I'd say avoid a preamp altogether, and add a passive tone control. No preamp, even the Audere, with an active treble circuit is going to roll off highs in a way that sounds similar to a passive tone control. You could even add a passive tone to your existing bass, and combine bass and/or treble EQ with a passive roll-off... of course favoring the neck pickup.

7. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for all of the replies. I've decided to try out an Audere preamp because I've found one locally. And thanks for the offer to try out the bass billbern, but I wouldn't have time to head down that way for the next week and a half at least. If I don't like the Audere, I'll let you know if we can work something out. And mgmdadian, I only suggested my tone like because I have hard time describing them in words, so I figured people would hopefully get what types of tone I like based on my preferences. But thanks for the informative post. I know to get my P tone, I need a P. Thus I got a Duck Dunn, haha.

Thanks again everyone.