Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggest a slow paced, funky slap based song please.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by yoshi, Feb 4, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah, I searched the forum but nay luck.

I'm just in the mood to learn a new song, hopefully a slower one and prefereably, for the most part, slap.

Please suggest songs which have a tab/notation available as I find it difficult to work stuff out.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Got To Be Real performed by Cheryl Lynn

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yup. And "Brickhouse" by the Commodores or "Slide" by Slave (super easy)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "Thank you (falletin me be mice-elf agin)" by sly and the family stone

its got a great easy to learn bass part and the song is helluva fun to play.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    the best song fitting your discription has to be:

"Thank you" (For lettin' me talk to Africa again)

Sly and the Family Stone....the groove does not get any thicker than that........

hope this helps

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Fantastic Voyage" by Lakeside.

BTW, "Slide" and "Thank You...." is about as easy as you're going to find. "Hair" by Graham Central Station is an easy one too.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Just my opinion;) ..........and all the songs everybody mentioned are great, but I also don't consider them slow songs..........just great funk grooves! Those songs are the tempo I think of when I think of funk grooves:)

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    "Try Again" by Champayne (sp?)

(Yea, I know how to spell champagne, however I don't think the band spelled it that way.)

I have an mp3 of it, if you want it let me know.

9. "Forget-me-nots" by Patrice Rushen
    "Fly away" by Lenny Kravitz (easy slow tempo slap line in verses)

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You could slap Chameleon by Herbie Hancock, if you wanted. Then it'd be a slow paced funky slap song :D

11. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    "Yertle the Turtle", by RHCP circa 1985---when they were still kinda unknown. Also, "My Love", off their "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" CD has a nice little slap bass solo.

For something a little more melodic try "Strawberry Letter 22"", by the Bros. Johnson. Great song, though not directly a slap song, but it's in there.

Also, you can't go wrong with Stanely Clarke. Not only can he slap like a muther, but also play the hell outta the bass.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Love Rollercoaster, O'Jays. Simple octaves.

Love Games, Level 42. Good left-hand-slap groove.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I know he's a jerk, but check out (earlier) Simply Red.

• Something Got Me Started
    • The Right Thing
    • It's Only Love

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

"Slide" is not a slapped bassline. Only the solo at the end of the song is slapped! Neither is "Brickhouse". There are some pops here and there.

'Slide' and 'Just A Touch Of Love' are just played hard fingerstyle. I know because I saw them play back in the day. Mark Adams played a beautiful Alembic and played very hard fingerstyle.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, get it right. "Love Rollercoaster" was performed by The Ohio Players!!

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Oh yeah.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Mark Adams didn't slap "Slide" but every cover band bassist I've ever seen play it does. It's such an easy song that it's a natural for somebody just learning to slap.

I do believe that Ronald LePread popped the G on the D string then hammered the A on the D string and thumped the A on the E string and the C on the A string in "Brickhouse". Could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like. That's also the way I usually play it, so it's gotta be right, right? j/k ;)

Peace,

James (1000 posts) Martin

18. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Not real slow, but Boz Scaggs "Lowdown"

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I forget what Yertle the Turtle sounds like... I remeber the lyrics being absolutely retarded... but My love's bass solo isn't all that slow.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    almost every bassist I've ever met in my age group (let's jsut say 15-19 for the sake of pete) thinks its the coolest thing to slap chameleon.:confused:
    It's as if they think the song just has to be slapped, no other way of playing it...personally I think it's one of the best root-funk grease digging fingerstyle songs around I love to groove on that one.