Suggest an amp (used preferably) for my Bag End 15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I have an SWR Bass 350 head that snap, crackles & pops. So I am looking for a new head on the cheap. This time around I'm not super concerned on the amp because a B3K is going between my bass & the amp. As far as I understand, all Bag End 15" cabs are 8 ohms.

So anything you guys can recommend I would appreciate it. Whatever is you recommend, I'll look for on the used market. Thank you.

:)

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Is there a possibility of having the SWR repaired? Those are nice amps.

Omega Monkey and Stumbo like this.
  3. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Probably - but I'm thinking at a bare bones minimum its going to at least be $100. But I'm sure it would be more than that. I had two back in the 90's. One of them I traded off back then and this is the other one.

Thanks guy :)

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    When does it crackle and pop?

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your max budget?

6. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    What is really does is make a loud humming noise with low output volume and every so often if I wiggle the input jack around the volume jumps to the more expected, higher level.....if that makes any sense.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Might be an easy fix.

Bob_Ross, Omega Monkey and vickerekes like this.
  8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The Bag End S15 makes any amp sound good.

You might want to apply some DeOxit to an instrument cable plug and run it in and out a few times into the input socket as well as FX in and out. Remember, just a little bit of the DeOxit, too much can be deleterious.

You might bring the SWR back to life...

9. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The old 400RB's sitting on Baggies were kind of a fixture a few decades back ... and still hold their own these days ... ;)

10. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    $275

11. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Good point. Back in the 90's when we would rehearse in Seattle, the studio there had 400RB's. I used it once or twice when I didn't have my Eden's.

12. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    It might be. But since I don't know anybody in the business - I have a feeling it's going to cost me $ just to even determine what the problem is. Then from there, more $ for parts & labor.

I have noticed Hartke LH500's for around $250 used. I've never played through one though. But 500 watts @ 4 oms seems pretty damn good for $250, IMO.

13. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for the suggestion. One of the problems though with that is the 400RB is 200 watts @ 4 ohms. So at 8 ohms (with my 15" cab) - that's barely any power.

14. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I'm with Wave Rider on this one. IME, any amp sounds good with Bag Ends!

BadExample and CapnSev like this.
  15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... just tossed out a combination that brings a smile to my face when I think of my old S15D's... the early ones are 120 watts at 8 ohms, and yes, I agree, the number is not impressive, but sitting on an 8 ohm 410xl it used to carry some pretty loud shows back before we paid a lot of attention to numbers ... ;)

There is a Hartke 3500 sitting on a local Craigslist for $125 B/O ... something to consider ...

It kind of comes down to just how cheap you want to go ... if you want to spend your 'up to' $$ figure ($275), there are quite a few options ... if you want to stick to your low # tossed out ($100+) and have 200+ (true) watts into an 8 ohm load, not so many ... I would at least look into the SWR repair if that is the case ... somebody on here should be able to give you a good rec of a tech in your area to at least get it evaluated ...

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    So get an 800RB ;)

I was going to suggest either the 400RB or the 800RB. Bag End + GK really sounds fantastic. The cabs are very efficient too, so you really do get a lot of volume for your wattage. The 400RB was just a little dirtier in my S15D stack than my 800RB was, but the volume was still there.

17. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    That sounds like your input jack is making bad contact with either the plug or the board. Clean & re-bend contacts or fix a shaky solder joint and it’s all good.

Or send it to me. I’ll pay shipping.

18. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
  19. Don't knock what the 400RB can do- I ran used to run two (one into a Peavey Scorpion-loaded 8 Ohm 15" and one into an SWR Workingman 8 Ohm 410).

I took just the 410 and one 400RB to a punk rock gig once- the guitarist had a 100 Watt Marshall. I still managed to have enough stage volume to keep up, along with that nice G-K grind!

20. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    To be even more clear; as soon as you turn it on it makes a loud humming, but when you rotate the volume knob, you hear scratching. That's whether you turn the knob clockwise or counter.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022