1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest another bass for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 15, 2010.

1. To the Group -

After more basses than I can count, I've narrowed down to two that really handle anything I can throw at them. My Stealth Bongo and my Yamaha Nathan East are a great duo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Trouble is, I would REALLY like a third bass -- just because I think three is a good number. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that fits my urban gospel gig, but doesn't duplicate what I already have.

I figured I'd get some TB opinions for basses to check out.

My only criteria are

1) 5 strings & 17.5 MM spacing

2) It's GOT to work in a dense, Urban Gospel mix.
    (Here's an example of what I play: )

3) No more than $1000

4) Excellent quality. Not necessarily boutique but I have given up on basses that are cheap. It's got to make me say "Yeah -- now this is an excellent, well-made bass."

Anyway -- I'm wide open to suggestions. Anyone have ideas about a third bass for me?

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm no expert (especially when it comes to 5ers) but what about a used Peavey Cirrus?

Great quality, cheap used.

Not sure about their string spacing or if you can do with the 35" scale though.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since you like Yamaha, look for a vintage TRB5 or TRB5P. You can get them pretty cheap, and they are really well made basses. The older TRB5s are P/J and neck through. The newer one have two soapbars. Check them out!:bassist:

Look for the older, Japanese versions.

4. I would suggest buying a used Warwick or Spector. If you could find a used Warwick Streamer Jazzman I think that bass would suite you well.

5. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    What about adding a fretless Ibanez?

6. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Take a look at US Masters.

I have an older EP52 that I just love. Mine has P/J pickups rather than soapbars. The US line is a little above your budget, but if you can find a used one, it is worth looking at. The import line costs less, but is also good - similar in quality to the G&L Tribute, from what I've seen.

I'm not sure of the string spacing, though. A quick call to USM would answer that. Nice guys and easy to talk with. Chances are "the boss" will answer the phone.

Good Luck!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If 17.5 spacing is a must, get a Ray35 or a used Cirrus or Millennium.

If you would go up to $1,500, you could probably get a really nice used Zon or a Modulus too.:)

8. I'm leaning HEAVILY in this direction.

I'm also thinking about the Dingwall Combustion but those fanned frets worry the heck out of me. :eyebrow:

9. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Tom Clement to the rescue!! Tom, can build you virtually, anything you're looking to have built. I recommend the Phoenix design as it is near perfectly balanced and dead sexy too!

http://www.clementbass.com/web/Gallery/Bassgallery/tabid/55/Default.aspx?path=moderndouble/bass 167

Here's mine, I've since swapped out the Barts for Nordy Big Splits— VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY NICE! And the Glockenklang preamp is quiet and transparent! The bass comes in at 9lbs, but because it's so well balanced and playable it feels more like an 8lb bass...seriously!!

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks Lincoln but re-look at his price range. ;)

11. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    I'd say Cirrus, they are incredible for their price point. Used ones fit very, very easily into your price range as well.

12. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm not sure what the string spacing is but what about a used American Standard P-Bass V (2008 or newer). It would be a huge departure from what you already have, plus nothing fits in a mix like a P-Bass.

13. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    A fretless MTD. :bassist:

Fred

14. I've been thinking about this for a while. The "Bass Purist" in me thinks I should have one and that lead to a lengthy discussion on TB -- check this out: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615998&highlight=

I'm still not sure if it's the right move.

15. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Hands down for the money, get the Carvin SB5000.

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Whatever it is, I'd aim for one without frets, for the change of pace.