1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggest me a jazz bridge pickup for my p-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Apr 2, 2006.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    so im seriously considering having a bridge pickup put on my mij fender precision. basically i want to be able to solo it for that jaco-ish sound (i have to switch to my jazz to do this sound and its a pain in the ass at shows), so what do you guys think would be a good pickup for this? i also want to experiment with blending it in with the precision pickup on the more rocking songs, so keep that in mind too. thanks guys.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You have a million choices that are good, the only thing I would say is make sure to get a humbucker of some kind.

Seymour Duncan classic jazz stack is nice, so is the hot stack if you want something a bit beefier. But you really have dozens of good choices.

3. The pickup I absolutely love in the bridge position is a Dimarzio Model J and then with series/parallel switch for that pickup (it's a humbucking one).

Really.

Tons of growl, nice bottom and you can really get that jaco sound out of it :smug:

4. Honestly,I would go with the EMG p/j set.Great sound, simple control.

5. Be aware that P's are generally much hotter than J's, so get a hot J. I have a SD vintage P and a SD Hot Stack J in my P/J bass and the P is still hotter than the J.

BTW I wired the Hot Stack with a series/parallel push-pull switch (between the two coils of the Hot Stack, not between both pu's as is usually done) and the combination of the parallel option with the P (both full on) gives one of the best "natural" (no eq. required) slap tones I've heard on a passive bass.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I really like the tone of the SD Quarter Pounder and it has the hotter output many players are wanting out of the bridge position to help balance better with the output of the P.

Also check out the Nordstrand NJ4SV or NJ4SE.

7. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    very nice....so what does it actually mean to have a bridge pu that can be humbucking by itself? would that just get a fatter sound and then also have the ability to get the single coil sound?

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you;re going to add the J, I would also suggest dropping in a set. If you want Jaco - skip the EMG's . The two best balanced (volume and tone wise) set's that I've used are
    1. Bill Lawrence P46 and J45, about $110 for the set. Clear and modern very quiet. Passive.

2. Aero Type 1's. Pure vintage style punch. I run this set in my Reverend and while they exhibit all the idosyncracies of a vintage style pickup. They have a sweet spot about a mile wide. Just a great sounding pickup. More aggro then the Lawrences, maybe a little less focuesed in the bass and more in the mid's. Big punch from these!

I haven't tried the Nordstrands yet. I say yet because I will. I have a Nordstrand MM4.2 in my Lakland as a replacement for the original Bart MM and if I wasn't already married, I'd have proposed to that one ... I'm guessing that Carey's PJ set will be awsome as well.

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Humbucking indicates it's ability to not pickup extraneous noise, ie buzzing and hum. Quieter than single coils in other words.