1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggest me an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaddMann274, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

Jul 18, 2012
    Maldives
    Looking to buy an amp head. I need suggestions...

I play stuff like...
    Opeth, In Flames, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Megadeth, Annihilator, Nevermore, Black Sabbath, Dissection, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera, Lamb Of God, Death, Amon Amarth, Protest the Hero, Pink Floyd etc

Budget: $1000 (cheaper the better though)

:D

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i would go with Ampeg svt7pro, Orange BT1000, or tecamp. My personal fav is the BT1000 though, nice clean sound that can be overdriven nicely. But that is just me

3. Well, Mr Harris of Iron Maiden uses a bunch of different preamps feeding a trannie PA amp. into 15"s
    Mr Lee of Rush uses an Ashley pre into a power amp. into 15". A pattern emerges, except:- Mr Butler plays Ampeg SVT-2PRO heads and SVT-810E 8x10 cabinets.

The thing is with a normal amp rig, you're not going to get "awesome" at any volume below the optimum for that amp.
    My suggestion for what its worth, is to buy a clean PA amp and effect the hell out of it with a tube preamp. A few AX12s never hurt anybody. Or .... a digital preamp. That way you get awesome tone - and a variety of tones, at any volume.

Edit: Don't overlook the speaker cab though. From above, some use 10s some use 15s. I don't think it matters as long as its quality.

4. I built my own stereo bass rig in the mid 70s comprising 2 x 2 x 15" Altec speakers in my own cabinets. The amplifier was custom made by a student graduate of electronics here in U.K. For smaller work I found a Carlsbro Viper combo at a reasonable cost.
    If you are playing large festivals etc. there is plenty of choice for bass amps such as Marshall but they are expensive. Work to a budget and find best value for money unless you are very wealthy!

5. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    for modern metal? something with an eery backlit plexiglass faceplate?

You could save a lot of bucks and get something like a Peavey fire bass700, or a carvin bx or R series...

6. Hi arthur. Old boys like us will remember a time when 100W was loud. Valve were expensive. Trannies were pretty much the only game in town. Things were expensive too. Around 1980 I used to rekon £1 per watt so £100 for a 100W amp..... used! ..... that's without speakers. You had to build power amps from kits to afford them. (My wages in 1980 were £35 per week.)
    Thankfully we are 30 years on I've just bought an 800W (far too big) Littlemark tube, NEW, for only £600. Amps do a lot more stuff now too. They are for more flexible.
    I think the O/P stand a great chance of getting a great sounding rig way less that his budget provided he doesn't get caught up in the watts battle and trusts his ears.

7. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    I've got a lot of respect for the old school. I still have my 2x15"s, sold my 4x12s, though.
    but for modern metalheads, their eyes will pop when they see my rig, they'll nod in approval, and then go out and buy the latest guitarcenter swept mid eq amp & 8x10...it's a law somewhere, I suppose.

$1/watt was how the pawnshops in the states used to value their amps, as long as they weren't models endorsed by someone on the cover of rolling stone.

8. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

Jul 18, 2012
    Maldives
    What do you guys think about the Hartke LH500? << That was what I was going to go for originally. :)

9. I would straighten out what cab you are buying first, then worry about the amp. IMHO the cab matters way more than the amp in the sound you get.

10. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

Jul 18, 2012
    Maldives
    The Hartke AK410. :D

11. I don't think that is necessarily true, is it? Is this based on experience or are you just trying to provoke the OP?

Martin

12. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    It's very much based on experience. I was not directing a comment to anyone posting here, it was an observation I was offering to posters here.

I had 2 metal shows this weekend...you would have sworn my gear was a shrine, 4x15s w/ sunn & earth amps. And then the conversation drifted back to "dood, the new xxxx comes in black...in black!"

13. I think this stems from what is available and at what cost. My local GC doesnt stock any 15's really. Hell on of the sales managers has actually told me that 5 strings are a passing fad and he will neither stock or order any. So every kid that goes in there has the option playing through an Acoustic 810/410, a Ampeg 810e 610 hlf and 410 hlf, a GK 410, and some mark bass combos. They will order you a cab, but wont stock anything for you to try.

14. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    Believe me, I am familiar with the racket...
    however, buying any equipment should be based upon necessity, rather than convenience.

I am not stating that what I own is the correct gear...but, years ago, I came up with a converse to the GC/warehouse retail store...
    Whenever I went into East Coast Music Mall, the repair shop was located by the front door. East Coast MM sold the latest in Hartke, SS Ampeg, Crate, Behringer...and there were stacks (no exaggeration) of hartke heads, of ampegs, GKs from floor to ceiling.
    All with service tags. Hartke 4x10s-blown. Crate & GK 2x10s/4x10s-blown.
    So, I said "I know I'll never buy those amps"

I knew, even then, that it was faulty logic. That store sold a lot of those amps, and were an authorized repair shop. But people also told me, you can get 10 years out of them, and the warranty will cover 5!" Meanwhile, I had 20 yo amp for another 20yrs, w/ no service record.

You kind of feed into my statement by saying "but MY guitar center has this to sell"
    it's like Ian McKaye said, "nevermind what they're selling, it's what you're buying"

A lot of new gear is being made in china. China does not have a good track record with giving a rat's ass for what we consider to be 'quality'. I'm not anti-chinese, I'm sure they're good to their parents. I'm saying, go where the quality is. If GC is not selling it, don't go there. Buy from another vendor. Buy used.

15. +1

I had a local builder construct me a cab that will kick the turds right out of anything GC has to offer.