Suggest me some electronic drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Hi everyone, I'm a full time bassist of course, and since I'm pretty much fine with the gear I have at the moment (fighting GAS as much as possible) I'd like to buy something different. I love drumming but I live in a small duplex and don't have room for an acoustic set. I was thinking an electronic drum set would be great to play around with, possibly record little jams with (when I get a bit better), and overall improve a bit in my drumming skill (although I realize there's no substitute for the feel of a real snare or hi-hat). I have a large bdguet to work with but I don't want to spend too much... let's say under 1 grand CDN? Roughly 800$ US or less. Of course the lower the price the better, but it's akin to the Squier/MIM argument... I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to get something that's not total crap. Keep in mind that this would be a hobby.

Any suggestions? Any brands to stay away from? I obviously enjoyed the feel of the Rolands I've tried (with the white mesh). Very bouncy, very comfortable. I've tried some with those rubber disks and it wasn't the same, although I didn't have a problem with em. I guess comfort and ease of play is ideal, and if possible something that feels a lot like a real drumset (if I was getting it just for the purpose of recording drums I would have gotten one of those drum pads... I wanna play drums :D). Sound is not a big priority as long as it sounds decent. Finally, I don't want something that'll break easily, although I don't think I'll be too rough it it. Thanks.

EDIT: Maybe a set with at least a mesh snare:

2. for what you're getting with those v-drums, they're hardly a steal.

Look at the hart dynamics percussion stuff. cheaper, better (imo, better feel), and get a good brain.
  3. If you can get it, I suggest a Hart set of pad with a Yamaha DTXpress brain. the DTXpress II head is the one that is used by me/borrowed from my friend, and it's got a LOT of useful sounds.
  4. Bump, any more suggestions? I'm hoping to try some of those Hart Dynamics drums as soon as possible.
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I just bought this.

I love it. It is as loud or quiet as I need and is totally upgradable as I choose.

I got it here (click)

I love their payment plan. It makes quality products much more affordable.

6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I was just going to suggest the TD3
  7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I'm really interested in that Hart Dynamics stuff. I'm learning the basics now and want to get into electronic drumming. Unfortunately, the spec I want is gonna cost me way more than I have!

Looks like a good alternative to Roland. What was it about them that felt so good Mon Rominee ?
  8. Excuse my dumb question but where do you plug it?