1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest me the best Fender Precision bass for upto $1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TWD, May 30, 2012.

1. TWD

TWD

May 30, 2012
    Hey guys,so i used to play an Ibanez bass for four years now.

And i think its time to move on to a better one,it doesnt meet my requirements nowadays.

So i was thinking about Fender Precision basses.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Fender American, Japan, Mexico, Squier....they can all be great. Try as many as you can and pick the one that plays and sounds the best.

3. I am very happy with my USA Standard P. VERY happy. Great axe.

4. My 60th Anniversary P is the best one I've ever played.

5. What about the MIJ 70's P they just released? I played one for about 10 minutes, it was pretty good!

6. A used one. I prefer P/Js with Jazz necks, plenty of variations on that theme out there.

7. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    American Standard, 2008 or later.
    Easy to find a good one, because quality control was bumped up so much higher after 2008.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I really liked the Highway One series basses with the Bad Ass bridge and the light finish. Not sure they still make them though.

9. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  10. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    The best Fender P I've played for under $1200 was a G&L SB-1 with a #8 neck. It was the best for over $1200 as well.

11. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I just got an American Vintage '62 reissue for right at about your price. It's a fantastic bass, and it was on a good sale. Got a hard case, and free set up with it too.

Play as many as you can if possible. I went in with the intention of buying a 3 tone SB and ended up with an olympic white finish. Why,,, after playing both basses in the store on two different occasions, the white was a better sounding bass.

The point being,, play it and get one that feels good and sounds good. I might be an american, might be a squire. Any bass can be good,, a squire can be awesome, and and american could be a stinker... you just have a better chance of finding a good one right off the bat with the americans and such.

And wait for a good sale!

12. $1200? A brand new American Standard.

13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    1. Road Worn

2. If you can't stomach a relic, American Standard. But you'll be missing out. :bag:

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Hoo boy, are you going to get a lot of answers. :D The best one is the one you like the best.

15. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    try the amperican special p. i really like mine. got it brand new for $750.

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
  17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd try and find a mid-late 70's P bass

18. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    You can find a steal on a used MIA P for around $800. I would look at 2008 - 2011 and stay away from the 90's (I never liked them).

19. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    A used USA P Deluxe, mine is a 2010 and is a great bass, I had an Ibanez BTB770PB which was a very nice bass but I could not get a natural tone out of it, the Fender fits the bill nicely .