Suggest Some Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chardin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I have "Images and Words" which my son has been enjoying lately. What would you suggest as the next Dream Theater disc to get?

Edit: Fixed typos
  2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Scenes from a Memory is a great cd, as well as Train of Thought.
  3. Personally I really like "Train of Thought" but it is very different from their other albums (a lot more metal-y) , for something thats more similar to their other stuff i would suggest "Falling into Infinity"
  4. I like everything I've heard with DT. I find myself listening to "train of thought", "images and words" and "awake" the most (probably in that order too). Then I have "six degrees..." and "scenes from a memory" also. Both are good.

And of course any DVD they have put out. No spectacular scene shows or anything but they manage to nail the songs almost to perfection (maybe not LaBrie but everyone else). Simply phenomenal.
  5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Definitely Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory.

My favorite DT album, be sure to check out Dance of Eternity, track 9, pure genious! I still haven't figured out how Myung plays that solo :confused:
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Definately Scenes from a Memory (Metropolis Part II). Its probably their most "progressive" album since Images and Words and is definately the best companion to that album.

If you like their more progressive / lighter stuff go for:
    - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    - Falling into Infinity
    - When Dream and Day Unite

If you like their heavier side go for:
    - Train of Thought
    - Awake

But Scenes from a Memory is a must buy! :D
  7. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    The only one I've heard is Images and Words. The singer really mucks it up. He has this really wussy, REO Speedwagon vibe going. Does he do vocals on all their albums?
  8. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    IaW was the first album Kevin James LaBrie sung on, and he also sings on all the subsequent ones. But his style has (somewhat) changed gradually since that first one. Even the next album "Awake" is much darker vocally. But many don't dig his vocal style, and keep away from DT (to their substantial loss) because of it. I think LaBrie's vocals work very well with the band, and I like it.

Their first album, "When Dream And Day Unite", has another guy on vocals: Charlie Dominichi (or something).

Recommandations: My first DT album was "Live at the Marquee". I think that live albums tell more about a band's true caracter than studio albums. And that album rocks.
  9. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    +1, i didn't really dig them till i heard train of thought
  10. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Scense From a Memory and Awake are good ones, but my personal favourite is When Dream And Day Unite.
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actually I think Falling Into Infinity (with the exception of a couple of tracks) sucks. But it certainly falls within their "lighter" stuff rather than the heavier Awake / Train of Thought style albums!

WDADU is a great album, but I wouldn't really recommend it as an early buy of DT because its not that representative of the way their sound progressed (ie different singer and sounds etc). That list was certainly not in order of my favourite DT albums - but was just to show the dude which side of the fence the various DT albums fall.

I would say if you gave up after FII (which alot did) then you really missed their masterpeice in SFAM - if I had to recommend one DT album to someone it would be that album.
  12. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance is a great album. The track Glass Prison definately makes that album what it is.
  13. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    IMO Falling Into Infinity has some great songs on it. (as opposed to the other albums, where all the songs are great...)

The thing with Dream Theater is that every album has its own vibe, while still being Dream Theater style. FII however was perhaps deviating from the DT style, as it was heavily produced by Kevin Shirley. After FII, they produced the albums themselves. So, the subsequent albums are much more back to the basic DT thing.

If you liked the early stuff, but not Falling Into Infinity, you'll probably like Metropolis pt.2, Six Degrees and Train Of Thought.
  14. Buy "Awake." It has some of their most adventurous music on it. The songs are very well written too, not just a technical-fest. You will like it.
  15. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Scenes From A Memory is a can't miss
  16. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah... their heavier albums are: Train of Thought, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Awake. Most progressive one is probably Scenes From a Memory, most accessible to newer listeners is arguably Falling Into Infinity (it's got some awesome songs!) and A Change of Seasons has 1 amazing 23 minute long original song and 4 excellent covers. But my favorite has to be ToT, I'm a headbanger at heart :D
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Skip the Dream Theatre, and pick up some Chroma Key. You'll be glad you did.