Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggest some j pickups for me

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mad_world, Jun 25, 2003.

1. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Hey im wanting to put some new pickups on my warwick thumb bo any suggestions. I was thinking 1/4 pounders by seymour duncan.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Lots of people like the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz.

I like what I've heard of the Bill Lawrence J45.
    www.billlawrence.com

Aero gets lots of raves, though they're pricy.
    www.aeroinstruments.com

I hear a lot about Villex, but the website is really uninformative. Modulus uses them, FWIW.
    www.villex.com

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just to add to what Richard said, which was all good stuff.

Different pickups sound good in some basses, and not so good in others.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the Ultra Jazz 5's in my Thumb 5. Sounded kind of scooped to me.

I also wasn't impressed with Barts in my Thumb 5, made it very muddy sounding. I also tried out various Carvin pups, which were just ok.

In the end, I put in EMG's. I think their zing complements the dark wood sound of the Thumb's nicely. To my ears, they made for the best growly sound.

If you're thinking Villex's, I'm not sure if those can be used with a preamp. Part of their thing is that you get a mid control on an active bass - so a J style bass will have V/V plus mid/tone controls.

Maybe in addition they can be wired to a preamp as per normal hot/cold combinations, but I don't know. Matt Schmill of FBB Custom has done a decent amount of work with Villex pups, maybe he'd be able to answer.

Pickup tryout can be an expensive, trying process...

4. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    so do the emg's have a certain name?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You don't say whether you have a 4 or 5 string.

If you have a 5 string thumb, you need to get two EMG LJ (Long Jazz) pickups as the neck and bridge pups you already have should both be standard J bridge length (3.75").

If you have a 4 string thumb, measure the pickups. Bridge should still be 3.75" long, but if the neck is 3.62"ish then you want a set of EMG J pickups - in this set you'll get one bridge length LJ plus a neck length J.