Suggest some replacement Tubes for SVT CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris818, Jan 10, 2006.

1. I've been throwing around the idea of replacing the tubes in my SVT Classic. Nothing's wrong with the tubes, but I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Ideally, I'd want a smoother, rounder clean tone but a with the potential to get a bit more dirty when I crank the gain knob.
    I've never heard the amp with any other tubes so I really don't even know if I'm asking the right question....but can more expensive, so-called "better" tubes offer a cleaner and dirtier sound?

I currently have Sovtek tubes in both the pre and power amp section. They're 3 years old and came newly installed with the amp when I bought it used in Jan. 2003. I'm pretty new to this department. Some suggestions of replecements is what I'm asking for. I'm learning as I go.

2. I would look at JJ/Telsa tubes

Talk to bob at eurotubes (, tell him what your looking for sound wise, he will make some suggestions about what to get, and you should be good to go :)
  3. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    +1 on Bob.
    He's a very cool guy and knows his stuff.
  4. Thanks guys. I'll look into it. Also, is there a specific amount of time that should pass before you change the tubes?
    Do they ever burn out? or just stop working?
    As you can tell, I'm pretty newbie when it comes to tubes. whatever.

FWIW, I've been playing for almost two years solid three times a week at a pretty decent volume.
    yet, no issues at all so I never bothered to mess with the tubes (mainly cause I don't know too much about them).

I only ask cause if my tone can get better, I'll take into consideration what will make it better. That's all.
    And I think all you tone geeks share the same sentiment.
    Hell yes you do!!!
  5. It depends on the tubes really how long they will last, cheaper ones will burn out alot quicker

Tubes can last quite a while, and you will usually know when something is on the way out, the amp will make strange noises or you will get wierd colours out the back of it :p

Preamp tubes usually last for alot longer than the power tubes

When i got my SVT earlier last year, it was in need of a revalve, i wasnt sure if it was just the power section, but i replaced the pre with JJ's anyway, and the amp is from 89, i got it in 05, and it had been used as a workhorse amp by a few bands and was even rented out and used on reasonably big festivals ( was on stage for a whole day at V2002 or something :) )
  6. I just got new preamp tubes for my Ampeg, Bob recommended the "High gain" tubes for more growl & snort with the gain knob up, but stays smooth and round with lower gain settings.
  7. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    So, he took good care of you, right?:)
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Contact Willie (Lord Valve) at NBS electronics.
    He's a bit of a character, but he absolutely knows his stuff, and has VERY reasonable prices. I called him about regarding retubing my Mesa 400+ a while back, and he came through with some excellent suggestions, and a fabulous price.
  9. Damn straight!!!.....and the tubes arrived in 3-4 days :cool: