1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest Standards for a walking noob.

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by billoetjen, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Needed: list of "easy" standards such as "Satin Doll" while I build my skills.

Hi Folks,
    I'm not going to apologize for posting this request. I'm in my fifties and feel GREAT about the progress I'm making and take great pride in taking on this challenge at this stage in life.

Now, the request.

Starting up a Dinner Jazz trio. I need to get proficient with 4/4 walking. I got my brain around the theory (scales, modes, chord structure, intervals....) but the fingers and brain don't communicate well enough yet to manage all of the standards. :help:

As I master easy songs, I've noticed that the harder ones come more easily. So I want to work on a bunch of easy ones now. My example of easy is "Satin Doll." It has a repetitive, logical structure with manageable turn-arounds and a minimum # of chords.
    Please suggest other standards that I can add to my repertoire as I develop the skills. Maybe there just aren't any - my searches on TB haven't turned up much.

I'm posting this simultaneously in EB and UB because the same issues apply to both. I can't be the only guy on this site with this question.

If you've read this far and want to help but don't have much to suggest, please tug someone's coat who does.

Thanks as always.

2. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Blue Bossa, Lady Bird, Just Friends, All of Me, Fly Me to the Moon, My One and only Love.....

3. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    Autumn Leaves, Afternoon in Paris, Solar, Green Dolphin Street, Recorda-Me, Black Orpheus...

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    "Jersey Bounce", "Take the A Train".

5. Huge thanks to Edward G, eee, and powerbass for taking the time to consider my question.

Excellent suggestions! TalkBass is the place!

6. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    One of my all time favorites Stella By Starlight

7. impressions.... so what....

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    All The Things You Are, In A Mellow Tone, A Foggy Day, There Will Never Be Another You, There is No Greater Love, Tenderly

9. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    All the things, stella, autumn leaves

in all keys

10. Avellanas

Avellanas

Nov 2, 2010
    San Francisco
    Summertime, Watermelon Man, Cantaloupe Island, Song for My Father, Misty, Afternoon in Paris, The Girl from Ipanema, Lady Bird, Sweet Georgia Brown...

11. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Recordame, Blue Monk, Interplay, Walkin', Straigth No Chaser, Blue Train, April in Paris, Body and Soul.

12. Go, go, go...
    :hyper:

13. FSSimon

FSSimon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Sept-Iles
    Practicing simple turnarounds is great for connecting hand and brain too. It certainly is helping me a lot. playjazznow.com has some mp3s for play along in all 12 keys. And also check out his video:

By the way, really like your signature quote.

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Just get a copy of "the Real Book," either the illegal one (labeled the "fifth edition") or the new legal one, which looks almost the same and is labeled "sixth edition."

Both books are like a Bible for those kind of gigs. I like "beautiful love," which can be played fast or slow, and "Days of Wine and Roses," which Ray Brown covered many times so you can hear how it's supposed to be played. "Have you met Miss Jones" is a good tune because it combines a familiar "A" section with a bridge that's a bit like "Giant Steps." Joy Spring is challenging; I'd also work on a 3/4 tune. I like "Up Jumped Spring" a lot.

In my experience, modal tunes (like "all blues" or "Freddie Freeloader" are harder to walk over than diatonic tunes-it's challenging to avoid monotonous, repetitious lines on modal tunes, and tunes with a diatonic structure and lots of chords kind of have their own momentum.

15. All of You is a really great tune. Good for getting the half diminished sound happening too. It's a little bit trickier than "Satin Doll" but would be a great one to learn for sure.

16. That's a really welcome addition to the list because the half diminished chord rarely appears in these "easier" tunes. Great practice!
    Thank you very much, and keep thinking. I wonder if the stuff that comes from this thread could become a sticky.

17. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Have a look at the track list for "The Blue Box: Bluenote's Best' recording. Most of the tunes I was taught, after working on 12 Bar Blues, can be found there.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Box-Note...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291244591&sr=1-3

FWIW, I was in my mid 50s when I started playing Jazz. That may be late to the party but, the concentration keeps me alert & I'm making an effort not to act my age. LOL

18. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    Jersey Bounce is a great choice, just played it yesterday, really interesting rhythms. Also, Satin Doll is another great choice but I find myself bored right off the bat, except for the "solo" type beginning.

19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Not jazz, I practice to "I never promised you a rose garden."

20. FSSimon

FSSimon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Sept-Iles
    I've just finished this video.

Playing along a PJN.com Autumn Leaves track on my NXT5. Both arco and pizz sound.

The chords are displayed real time in the video so you can follow along.

edit: typo