Suggest to me some of the brightest strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Jul 23, 2018.

1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I've got one of my P Basses loaded with an SD SPB-2, which is really hot and mid heavy. I've been using Rotos with it to try and coax some snap out of that pickup, but the Rotos just don't cut it and their shelf life isn't great. I was thinking of trying out some Hi-Beams on it, but figured I'd see what suggestions come up here, first.

2. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Hi Beams are a good choice. So are the SS low riders. D'addario Pro Steels are bright as well.

BrentSimons, FugaziBomb and jthisdell like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Dunlop Super Brights are purportedly brighter even than DR Hi Beams. Have a set, haven't tried them yet though.

BrentSimons and FugaziBomb like this.
  4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm liking GHS Super Steels on my Precision Bass at the moment.

5. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    DR HiBeams
    D'Addario ProSteels
    Dunlop Super Bright stainless
    Sadowsky Black/Blue stainless

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. SIT RB stainless steels

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Long scale Banjo strings.gif I'm tempted to recommend these ('cause I'm kind of a smart ass); They're what I have on my Long scale '63 ODE banjo. Certainly long enough, and other than the light gauge version (which are painfully bright, IMO), they're about as bright as you can get. They won't last very long, and your pickups won't know they're on your bass... but they are very bright...;)

Seriously, though, I can't recommend anything other than what's been mentioned already. To be honest, the kind of bass strings you're looking for, are exactly the kind that I avoid like a plague-ridden Zombie... Bright on my banjo or mandolin? Yes, of course. My guitars? Maybe - depends on the guitar. A bass? Not on mine, thank you; but to each his own...:thumbsup:

FugaziBomb likes this.
  8. Yupper...;)
    DR Hi Beams
    D'Addario Pro Steels
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66
    LaBella Super Steps

eriky4003 likes this.
  9. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I'd bet they last longer than the Rotos I've been using. Might even sound better, but the audience would have to stay real quiet.

I gained appreciation for a bright DI tone when I started doing my own mixes and recordings. I like having those high frequencies on tap if I need them as I can always roll them off if I don't. Different tool for the job, YMMV, blah blah blah :thumbsup:.

10. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    These weren't even on my radar. Thanks!

Edit: Same with these:

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    The Dunlop super brights are bright, weird hollow mid range and the lows are really lacking. I hated em, but they might fit what you are looking for.

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    GHS SuperSteels are the brightest, most piercing strings I've ever heard. Blows Hi Beams and DAddario's out of the water.

And SS Low Riders aren't very bright at all for stainless steel strings, they sound more like D'Addario nickel wounds than anything.

michael_t and trothwell like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021