Suggested settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 16, 2003.

1. I am trying to get a kind of Flea sound out of my xs400 head. I am sure most of you know what I am talking about, but it is the sound you get so that it sounds slightly distorted, but I am pretty sure it is just a really rich full bass sound. What settings would you guys suggest? It is the sound he gets in the song By The Way, Throw away your television, etc.
  2. If you want slightly distorted, just set the pregain level so that it clips slightly.
  3. I know exactly what your talking about. To be honest.. .you can probably get that kind of a tone with a bass distortion pedal, with the distortion super low on it, so that you just get that growl.

As for me.. i use a Mesa 400+, and i've got that tone just from the tubes. I bet you can get that tone from any all tube amp, if you feel like droppin the bones and the back.
  4. Well I just bought a yorkville xs400. I am trying out the suggested settings from the user manual (duh, i know, but i didn't get one, so i needed to print it). I guess the closest setting is the one labelled Funkadelic, but the distortion from the overdrive just doesn't sound the same. Do you think maybe I got a bad tube?
  5. Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    Hay Circus, if funkadelic is close, try to move hi-mid to 9:00 and parametric mid to same and the freq to full ccw position, reduce bass and treble to 12:00, take out the compression and add full scoop. Put both gain and overdrive to 12:00..And adjust the blend back and forth. also try setting the gain to full and the overdrive to half way.