1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggested tunes for solo bass gig

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sevenjack, Aug 18, 2016.

1. sevenjack

sevenjack

Oct 10, 2014
    I would love some suggestions for solo bass tunes for playing in restaurants and similar atmospheres. Currently learning 'more love' by Victor Wooton, and don't have anywhere to go from there. Trying to learn classical thump, but it's a beast. Looking for tunes that will be a little easier than that, and hopefully not all VW tunes, but I don't know of many other bass players that really do solo tunes.

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm not going to list song names, but, send you to some song books. All you need is some lead sheets. Lead sheets include, treble clef, with lyrics and chord names. I'd suggest Amazon or your local music store and look at the Song Books they have. Most are broken down to styles of music, Pop, Rock, Country, etc. Here is what Amazon pulled up. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=books,+music+sheet+music

Best to click "look inside" to make sure it's what you want as far as treble, bass clef etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stone-Piano-Sheet-Classics/dp/0739052365/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471554449&sr=1-4&keywords=books,+music+sheet+music#reader_0739052365

This one has 39 songs with shipping for about $20. Plus you can look at the sheet music and get an idea if this song is going to fit your skill level. If lucky you can find sheet music with both treble and bass clef. This way you could switch between soloing or accompaniment.

For another $15 you can take the book to a print shop and have it spiral bound so it lays flat on your music stand.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    old spice likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Portrait of Tracy - Jaco Pastorius
    Terminal Beach - Stu Hamm

Plenty of others. But I would make my own arrangements of tunes people know (see Jeff Berlin's rendering of "Dixie" or Victor Wooten's version of "Overjoyed").

old spice likes this.
  4. sevenjack

sevenjack

Oct 10, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions Lee. Can't believe I didn't think of portrait of Tracy. Not familiar with the others, but I'll check them out.

5. "Freedom Jazz Dance" by Eddie Harris; Miles did a version of this.
    "Within You Without You" by George Harrison with the Beatles. The solo on the original recording is in 5. I played this at a coffeeshop and a man told me it was one of his favorites!
    More power to you. I've been doing this for a few years, and it hasn't been easy. VERY educational and often enjoyable, however.
    Maybe we can learn how to be entertainers.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    seang15 likes this.
  6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Try doing what Joe Pass did on guitar. Learn a few jazz standards and solo over the changes, while playing the changes.

7. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    You might try Jaco's version of Blackbird. He changes the key from the original, but the melody is recognizable by most people.

8. Jack Bruce

Jack Bruce Banned

Aug 18, 2016
    On Abbey Road, London
    This bass-dude might give you some ideas: