1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggested way for ampeg to ampeg hook up? also, head is cutting out. 2 part question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrg123, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    okay so i have a svt classic bass head and a 810 classic cab and for some reason the head will cut in and out at random times. i know it is not the tubes.

i've tried to adjust the "bias" controls on the back of the head but they seem to still be red at all times, even when turned all the way down. i also keep all knobs at 12 o clock except for the gain which i keep around 2-3 o clock and do not use the ultra hi/lo switches.

anyway, i've been connecting to the upper input jack on the back of the cab. the cab has the upper input and the two lower mono jacks so it's a pretty old cab, but i don't think the cutting in/out has anything to do with that. i've been connecting while having the head set at 4 ohms.

what would be the best way to connect the head to the cab as far as getting the most power and hopefully not having it cut out on me? also, is 4 ohms even the correct setting for this head? i would appreciate any suggestions!!! thank you!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

First get the head looked at by a tech. The tubes should not be glowing; that'll kill them.

The cutout is probably due to this.

3. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    they're not glowing.

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    BTW, the way your cab is plugged in isn't right, if its like any other 810.

The top 1/4 jack is just the top 4x10's and the two bottom ones run the whole cab. The top 4x10 is 8 ohms also.

The two mono inputs run the entire cab, what you're doing now is just half of it. So, plug it into one of the bottom 1/4" inputs and set your head at 4 ohms.

5. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    so if i plug it into one bottom jack it will run through the entire cab? i don't need two cables to plug into both or anything?

6. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    correct.

i crank the bass, midrange and master fully all the way up, and never have problems with it shutting down. with the head running at the correct ohm setting you should be gold.

7. jrg123

jrg123

Jan 10, 2007
    Tulsa
    that's awesome to hear because i'm always kind of paranoid to crack the master but i guess this is one combo where you don't have to really worry about that blowing out anything.

thank you!

8. Well, the heater filaments should be glowing.

+1 on taking it to a tech. If you don't know how the bias works then you should get it seen to. How do you know it isn't the tubes?

It could be a solder joint that is affected by the heat.

9. how does it sound when it works? if its distorting very early i'd take it to a tech sounds like somethings gone very wrong with the drive section of the amp or the power transformer