Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion for 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    First of all I'd like to know if I'd be able to run my bass through the head of my GK backline 115 combo into a 2x10 and have a sufficiently larger sound. The head is 125w 8ohm min. If this would work, what would you reccomend for a 2x10 that can get pretty loud but won't cost a fortune?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well its odd that your amp has an 8 ohm min load, most have a 4 ohm min
    that being said, your internal speaker is probably/definiely 8ohms
    i'm guessing that your amp has a lil cord that plugs into the speaker out jack and then goes thru the back of the map into the speaker
    so to use a 2x10 you would have to unplug the internal speaker and the 210 you choose should be an 8 ohm model
    you really have to compare directly to see if you think any 210s out there are louder when powered by your amp than the internal 15, so you'll have to schlep your amp around to do it
    problem is, a 15 has slightly more cone space than 2 10s, so unless the cab you pick has a much higher sensitivity than the internal 15, i dont think you'll find much more volume
    i'm really distraught that an amp manufacturer would make and amp (even a combo) that couldnt drive a 4 ohm load, then you could use an 8 ohm 210 and your internal 15 and probably get a lotta bang for your buck

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Is there a chance that even though it says 8 minimum it could handle 4 ohms?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I've been thoroughly unimpressed by 2x10"s other than the fact they carry mids well.

I'm comparing my "real XLT" (before the company was sold) Eden 2x10" to a "real" Eden 115. My Eden 15" stands up better to a Marshall because it is not competing for the same "sonic space".

In other words, (in a singer context) - tenor and bass voices sound like much more than two tenors.

A 15" moves more air than a 2x10, if you look at it from mathematical/acoustical engineering viewpoint becase a 15" has more cone area than a 2x10".

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

SWR Goliath Junior.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no you cant run an amp at 4 ohms that will only handle 8 ohms minimum (not for very long before it dies - lol)
    i personally hate combos cause they offer so little flexibility, but i can understand the cost factor