1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestion for a beginner first amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barefoot1988, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. barefoot1988

barefoot1988

Dec 24, 2016
    Any suggestion for my first amp? I will be using it strictly in my bedroom only. Playing with track, practice etc etc Will get a separate one for outdoor usage sometimes later. Not really looking for one lots of effect, but looking for this kind of tone. Budget below 500, will of course prefer to spend lower if possible =) Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Rumble 40

Linnin, punisher911 and GManfromOz like this.
  3. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    If you do a search in this forum for 'practice amp' you will find lots of info. If you are sure that you will only be playing in your bedroom any small combo from a major manufacturer would be just fine as long as it has an aux input, headphone output and ideally (IMHO) a direct out.

That being said, if it were me, I would want something with at least a 10" speaker ... preferably a minimum of 100 watts. Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, Fender, Traynor all have them. This gives you an amp that is appropriate for a small gig if you have PA support, later on. Consider the warranty offered by the manufacturer and customer support that your local retailer offers.

Gallien Krueger's combo series has a connection that allows you to hook up a second powered speaker, which does give you opportunity for expansion later on but it is limiting with the speaker you choose. I use a MB110 and am really happy with it.

If you have thoughts about playing out, later on, consider buying a small head like GK's mb200 or Traynor's SB200 combined with a single 112 cabinet. Somethng like this is great for home practice but is also a great little rig for small to medium sized gigs and a good foundation for building a larger rig after that.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    A "bass trainer" might be something to consider as well. It will require the use of headphones or an amp, but is a great tool for beginners. Tascam MPBT is one I recommend.

You can't really go terribly wrong these days with any of the bass offerings in practice combos. Like stated, few with speakers under 10" are spectacular (and those few are pricier)

Basically Bob likes this.
  5. Fender Rumble 40v3....

Linnin likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    As soon as I heard the bass, I said 'Classic Fender Sound'. Also note that the bass player is playing flatwound strings. I agree with both @brbadg and @punisher911 that the Fender Rumble 40 would be a superb choice. More than just a few bass players use the Rumble 40 for their personal practice amp even though their gig-rig may be of a different brand. Plus it's only $200 USD. The Rumble 40 all the way through the Rumble 500 all share the exact same front end.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    brbadg likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If your future goals include playing in a band, I would spend as little as possible, and start putting money away for a gigging amp. Pawn shops have different stuff - I recently saw a Crate 100 watt amp in decent shape for $100.

In my practice room, I have a cheap 15" Kustom vocal wedge monitor ($100 new more than a decade ago), which I use with my primary head. In my office I have a small guitar amp. I don't worry about amazing sound - just want to hear myself.

8. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I am going to agree with the Rumble 40v3 as an excellent choice. I have the Rumble 100v3 and it's awesome, but frankly overkill for at-home practice. An Ampeg BA-110 (also 40W) would be another excellent choice.