Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion for a lightweight 2 ohm amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulgroovn, Jan 10, 2004.

1. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I currently use a Carvin R1000 head with 2 ampeg portabass 10's. The cabs are 4 ohms each and the head can handle a two ohm load however, I'm exploring some more options for another amp. The carvin is decent but it's lacking in some areas and I think I could do better. So I'm looking for a super lightweight amp that can handle a 2 ohm load. I remember seing an ad for a 2 ohm GK that was 20 lbs. I forget what model but other than that, any suggections out there?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe the iAMP 800 can handle a 2 ohm load. Depending on what kind of sound you want, it might be the ticket. It's also super light, something like 18 lbs.

3. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you have EA questions, ask mike dimin, or Gard. They're the resident experts, but watch out, if you talk to Gard you'll end up buying the iAMP and probably a fodera to boot...

4. The Carvin can handle a 2 ohm load in stereo mode only. If you're running stereo, which you should be with those cabs, the Carvin is putting out 350 watts per channel. Hopefully you're not in bridge mode.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Have you considered separates?

A Stewart World 2.1 power amp will give you 1100 watts a side into 2 ohms each, or 2100 watts into 4 ohms in bridged mode. It weighs 17 pounds. Compared to any of my speaker cabs, I could probably lift it with my pinky finger.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Lightweight 2 ohm amp? How about an SVT? :confused:

:D

Have you looked at the QSC PLX series? They seem to be pretty lightweight.

7. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I'm definitely not in bridge mode. I just run one side of the amp with the crossover off. I've tried to run both side stereo but it doesn't sound as good.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Mike

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    If you want really light check out the Acoustic Image Clarus. 300 watts @ 2 ohms. 6 lbs.!