1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestion for a new bass - need advise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rcase1957, Mar 20, 2006.

1. rcase1957

rcase1957

Nov 12, 2005
    Ok,

I want a new bass.
    Here is what I want in it.
    - active electronics and pickups
    - 4 strings, 34 inch
    - natural woods or stained so grain shows through
    - neck through
    - strings through the back of the bass
    - about $800.00 or under (new or used)

Any suggestions? I am serious about this. It is not a 'what- if' question.

RC

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a brand-new neck through that fits your budget. These basses are usually more expensive, not because a neck-thru is better than a bolt-on (a very subjective matter), but because the technology used for these instruments demands more costs. The only exception is Carvin, which sells neck-thru basses with ebony fingerboards at incredibly low prices (neck thru + ebony = $$$$). Here's an example.

Just curious: Why is this so important to you? Carvins have this option along with regular string loading and frankly, I don't notice any difference in sound.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    ibanez srx 700. i was really surprised at how much i liked these. these are nt and have a natural type finish, but they have a string through bridge. check one out, you might like them. thay are also in your budget. also some of the other sound gears by ibanez are nt.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Ken Smith Design new is cool bass
    http://www.basscentral.com/2003/ksd.shtml
    Used you have quite a few choices and I am all for letting someone else take the hit on the depreciation.

I think you are approaching this the from the wrong direction. You have 48,000 bass players ON TB all with different opinions on what's good and what's not. You need to go to a shop with lots of basses and figure out what you want. Then you can figure out how and where to get it. TB might be a huge help on figuring out where to buy something more so than what to buy. IMO