1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestion for easy trumpet+bass songs?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TBDave, Dec 6, 2011.

1. TBDave

TBDave

Dec 1, 2011
    heyo,

i'm searching for some easy trumpet and bass songs to play with a friend of mine. he just picked up his trumpet from not playing for a few years and he's looking to get back into shape. i've just picked up the bass about a month ago and i can't put it down! i've been using studybass and a multiple of other sites to get better. i'd really like some songs to play with my friend on trumpet so we can begin to practice together.

note: these songs obviously do not have to be just trumpet or bass. in fact they don't need to have a trumpet at all, just a simple melody that does include a lot of high notes(my friend hasn't practiced enough to improve his range yet). if the track has drums then it's an added bonus because we're adding a drummer to our little duo to just jam/practice together.

thank you:)

2. He needs the treble clef and you need the bass clef.
    Lead sheet will give him the treble clef and you have the chord name to build your bass line around.
    Google - Lead sheet, "name of the song"

Christmas carols should be easy and have what you want. http://www.8notes.com/scores/1461.asp Low note in the bass clef is what you want for your bass line. Here is another http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/greensleeves-sheet-music.pdf Notice the guitar tab - bottom four strings are the same as your bass ...... interesting fact, however I bet those tabs are melody and have nothing to do with the bass line you need. I did not check.

Your music store will have "piano sheet music" find some you both would like. Second hand book stores normally have sheet music at bargain prices.

If not Christmas Carols, early Rock and Country should be easy. See what Google can find. Your church hymnal should have some Christmas Carols with both treble and bass clef. And some will probably even show the chord names.

You may have to transpose the key to whatever his trumpet is/likes, i.e. Bb, etc. But, he should know about this and can guide you. Talk to him about that. I go Jell-O on how this works for the trumpet, but, it is something you will need to address.

Good luck.

3. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    The trumpet is my tertiary instrument behind guitar and bass. As a returning trumpet player, your friend might have trouble transposing melodies written for "C" instruments (the "C" note on the trumpet is actually a "Bb"). Therefore, I would try to find music that is already transposed, if possible.

With that said, your options are fairly limited to jazz and classical. For jazz, I would suggest working on songs from either a Real Book, which are available for "C", "Bb" and "Eb" instruments, or various Jazz play-a-long books, such as from Jamey Aebersold. Also, there are a few classical duet books for trombone (or baritone) and trumpet, such as 10 Duets For Trumpet And Trombone by Arthur Frackenpohl. The bass can play the trombone part.

The Selected Duets for Cornet or Trumpet: Volume 1 - Easy to Medium (Rubank Educational Library) and Selected Duets for Trombone or Baritone: Volume 1 - Easy to Medium (Rubank Educational Library) might be worth looking into. To my knowledge, the duets are the same, just transcribed differently for the various instruments, but please verify prior to making an investment in the books. This is a good approach because the both of you can switch between the lead and support parts of the duet. I have the trumpet book, and it is well suited for a returning trumpeter and a good source of warm-up material for the advance trumpeter.

I hope this helps.

4. You can't go past early Jazz-Blues for simple and fun to play
    eg. Louis Armstrong-

Basin Street Blues
    Don't Get Around Much Anymore
    Blueberry Hill
    Mack the Knife
    Hello Dolly
    Dream A Little Dream of Me
    What A Wonderful World
    Stormy Weather

Get very comfy playing in key of B flat major (for trumpet that is Key of C major and by FAR the easiest key to play in).
    Learn E flat major and F major as well (F major and G major on trumpet).

And remember... have fun!!

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    As people have reported, the Bb trumpet transposition can be a bit of a hassle. One answer might be to go to whatever local music story you have and get a trumpet and trombone method book. They'll have the same songs and the trumpet will be transposed for you and match up with the notes in the trombone book. Just be sure to get the same method and level.

6. TBDave

TBDave

Dec 1, 2011
    hey guys i appreciate all the help. so the best thing would be to pick up a trumpet+trombone book and play the trombone lines with him doing his trumpet lines? just seeing if i understand this correctly.

7. You got it.:hyper: