Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion for pay ignore

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by way_of_opiatism, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    ignore feature should be for paying members, as well as a feature to ignore an entire forum. this is fair and allows greater use of discretion when visiting tb. it is a much greater incentive than total censorship of a forum

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, I don't see this as a benefit likely to draw in many new supporting mebers!!

I think most people are more interested in filtering out stupid topics or subjects rather than members - they usually get banned eventually anwyay!! ;)

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    But Bruce, if you could just ignore the entire OT forum, wouldn't you be happy? Wouldn't this be a non-issue for you then?

It's not to bring more supporting members. Its to make you, and others like you, happy.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You can ignore an entire forum. Just don't go there! Don't click the link! Easy! :)

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is what I said in a thread that got mysteriously deleted....

It's good advice, what Moley said. Everyone should take it *cough*bruce*cough*;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

But the idea is to make suggestions to improve TB as a whole - what I personally (or any other member) may or may not do, has no bearing on this - but some people seem unable to grasp this concept!!

And can only continue with petty bickering....:(

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, this isn't entirely true.

My preferred way of checking out what's new on Talkbass is to click on "New since last login." So, I have to wade through plenty of Off Topic crap when I log in.

If I could set it up so that Off Topic wasn't included with that 'click,' I'd do it in a second, believe me.

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with you. It is a whole lot better than completely doing away with OT all together as has been suggested.

Until then, I just won't click on the threads I don't want to see when I do hit "new since last login".

Just to state my official vote, I second way_of_opiatism's idea. If it would work without sucking bandwidth or being too complicated in the programming, then I am for it.

9. Yeah, but then you'ld miss all the crap I post there (not to mention your crap as well). :D

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    uhh.... Did you read what I said?

If you used the ignore, it would make it so that when you hit the "new since last login" button, you will see everything except for Off Topic.

Why do you say the ignore thing would have no real use? You don't like the OT forum, and it would make it dissapear to you. Isn't that what you want? That way, you will be happy because it will be like there is no OT to you.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, some crap is more worthwhile than other crap. :D

12. Originally posted by Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I find the only way to keep up, is to use New Posts since Last Log-in - so getting rid of OT would be much more of a help. The ignore thing has no real use as far as I can see.

I think this is a very good suggestion and I for one would use it to ignore a few users and forums.

I see Bruce fighting almost all the suggestions I see here and frankly I'm starting to think you either fear change in general or don't want people to be able to ignore your posts.

I'm not trying to start a war with you but really, what is the problem with this feature?

There are a handful of users I would love to never have to read again, not even see the skeleton blocked posts that currently are left when you ignore a user.

As well, not having to see so many OT threads when I like others use the "New since last login" feature would cut the number of pages I see every morning in half at least!

At the same time, there are people that love OT and all the craziness that goes along with it and I wouldn't want to damage their experience by suggesting that OT be eliminated.

13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Nah, Bruce isnt against change.

He wants to totally do away with Off Topic, as he said, "for the better of talkbass as a whole".

I guess I missed the bulliten that said Bruce knows what is best :rolleyes:

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No need to get snippy.

I think Bruce feels like I do--Off Topic has nothing to do with bass, and causes more problems than it is worth.

As for Bruce knowing best...at least he cares enough about Talkbass to pay to be a supporting member....

15. Originally posted by Nick Gann

Nah, Bruce isnt against change.

He wants to totally do away with Off Topic, as he said, "for the better of talkbass as a whole".

I guess I missed the bulliten that said Bruce knows what is best

There is a healthy attitude to have.

I never implied this and stated that I wasn't trying to attack Bruce. I admire his desire to improve TalkBass however I think that from past experience on these issues that there needs to be a little more open-mindedness on his part.

But enough talking about him in the third person. I'm sure he will be along to add to this soon enough.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Nobody has suggested that here!! :confused: :mad:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Total rubbish - where is the evidence that I am not "open-minded"? I take this a an insult and a big attack - I would ask you to prove this kind iof accusation and back it up with some facts!! :mad:

Just blindly agreeing with every suggestion - no matter how stupid - does not equal open mindedness!!

As I said - it seems I am the only one who is actually interested in improving TB - other people here only seem interested in "personal attacks" and bickering!! :mad:

Pleas note - I did not start this and am only defending my good name!!

18. Bruce Lindfield

WRONG!! I never said I didn't like the OT forum - get your facts right!! :rolleyes:

I don't know why I'm bothering as you don't read what I say - all I have said is that we now have 3 OT forums which to me seems like unnecessary duplication - I am not against having one OT forum!! But having 3 seems rather silly to me! ;)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Thank you - I thought personal attacks wer supposed to be against forum rules - but all this debate seem to be about is a personal attack on me !!

So - I agree that the big complainers should put their money wher their mouths are, if they are so concened about Talkbass!! ;)

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Bruce,

Four posts in a row?!?

I wonder if you've been added to some people's ignore list? Don't worry, you're not going on mine :)

Wulf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.