suggestion for replacement tuners on MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by c-ba55, Oct 19, 2003.

1. I have a fretless MIM Jazz bass which I like very much. I changed the pickups and shielded the cavity pretty much the day I got it. (a few years ago)
    Now I am thinking about swapping out the tuners. I feel they don't hold the tuning very well. I haven't changed the strings in a few years either and don't intend to. I don't really want a lot of sustain, naturally. I like the thud it has, and when I want to make it sing, I can just work it a little. Maybe a little more would be OK. Furthermore, this is a cheap bass and I don't want to spend terribly much on it. The neck balance is fine, and I'm scared to mess with that as far as the weight of the tuners.

SO, what are some not overly expensive tuners that work well, that are about the same weight or just a tad bit heavier than the stock 2000 MIM Fender Jazz ones?

Also, this seems like the sort of thing it wouldn't be hard to do myself. Is that true?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Schaller BML Tuning Keys. I've put them on all the MIM Fender 4's I've ever owned & on a Few Warmoth's I've built.

You will need to plug the original holes & drill new holes. Other than that, it's easy.
  3. These are good tuning replacement pegs!

Why would you change tunning pegs and not your strings?

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I put those Schaller BML tuners on my MIM basses.
    MUCH improvement over the stock Fender crap tuners IMHO.
    Depending on whether you want chrome, black, or gold (I'm assuming chrome?)Go to Warmoth. You can get a set of those for 46 bucks, plus shipping. Their service is INCREDIBLE!! I spoke to a guy named Bill; very knowledgable, and wicked nice!!
    You won't be sorry you did.
    While you're there may I suggest a Gotoh 201 bridge? 23 bucks, and way better than the crappy MIM bridges IMHO. I had one on my 2002 fretless that was bad right from day one. My dealer wouldn't do anything about it-thats the way they are they said-so I put the Gotoh on.
    Just a suggestion-hope this helps!

Tim :)