Suggestion For Used or New Compressor $150 Max

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PJ Bassthumper, Jun 29, 2016.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    A lot of people will ship to Canada if you ask, but shipping costs are higher so you should expect to kick in $$ to cover the shipping difference. You currently have 0 trading feedback, so that is going to limit their willingness to do something special. I know, it's a Catch 22. But, in lower priced items, sellers are usually more willing to take a risk. But they're also less willing to do special arrangements on lower priced items that move quickly. I know, I've talked in circles and argued for and against my original statement. So I guess I'll just say that it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll ship to Canada and it helps if you offer to cover the difference in shipping within the US.

PJ Bassthumper likes this.
  2. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    With the choices you mentioned, spectra comp all the way! You can dial in whatever compressor you want with the toneprint. A few pros here in Nashville sold off their $500 compressors and use it exclusively. I have also gotten a LOT of mileage from my BBE OptoStomp which you can score for $50 on ebay. Wonderful little unit that I use for sustain and light compression.

3. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    I have the Markbass compressor. I really like it. The tube gives it a warm tone which i like.

PJ Bassthumper and tedsalt like this.
  4. You should check out EBS Multicomp, it's not on your list. Plus, you're in Hawkesbury, you should take a drive to Rosemère (near Laval) and go see Mark at Musique Max, he's selling them for half of the regular price (130$ can)

It's not a huge drive from your place. My girlfriend works at the Hawkesbury hospital and lives on the other side of the bridge. We're not living together and I drive, It ain't that bad especially at this time of the year.

5. TC Electronic Spectracomp! And then buy something useful for what's left :)

6. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    there is a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass in the classifieds right now ... under budget ... !!

you do need to experiment with it and twist some knobs and flick some switches to find it's sweet spots for your playing/gear ...

of coarse , i found those sweet spots right after i sold it ... !! to get my DG

7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Dave how do you like the Darkglass. I just got an Empress which is in a similar league of the Darkglass, but a little more tonally transparent I think.

8. For that price range, you'll be able to get a brand new Broughton Audio Monocle compressor. It sounds fantastic, as good if not better than comps twice the price, plus it is tiny and super easy to use. On top of it all, you get to support a Canadian builder!

In your price range, it is the *only* thing I'd consider. I wouldn't go with a single thing off the list you posted - no offense intended, just you can get such a better comp for the money.

EDIT: Since you may be asking yourself "what is this Broughton Audio anyway and how can I buy from them", I thought I'd direct you to this thread:

Broughton Audio Super Thread

PJ Bassthumper and Rogatien022 like this.
  9. Zoom B3 and MS0B have very usable compressor and limiter models, might just do the trick for you or point a direction to proceed plus all the other goodies nice to have in your tool bag.

PJ Bassthumper and jwilson67 like this.
  10. DrColossus68

DrColossus68

Mar 3, 2016
    I got my Diamond Comp for $120 used. They also make a Jr model that starts out cheaper new. Diamond is based in Canada so maybe it will be a bit cheaper than some of the imports you're looking at?

11. basslicks

basslicks Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Kentucky
    I'm a fan of the MXR-M87 (can be had for ~$150 used). I like the visual feedback plus it's nice and transparent which I like.

12. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    You have "Digitech Main Squeez Bass Compressor $89" under your new list. If you mean the Digitech Bass Squeeze compressor, they are no longer made by Digitech. And if you meant the Bass Squeeze, reread and pay attention to the first sentence of the Ovnilabs review again. Really, the first two word sentence tells you all you need to know.

-Frank

13. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    You have a big second from me on the Zoom stuff. I owned an MXR M87 and I like the compressor models more on my B3. With either the MS-60b or B3 you have the added benefit of a boatload of other effects.

You will find yourself adding amp/preamp models in with them because they sound so friggin' good too!

14. I use a boss Cs-2. They are discontinued but you can still find them on eBay and similar sites.

15. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  16. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    DV019_Jpg_Regular_423445_R.jpg Used "Keeley" compressor with 4 knobs. Should be able to get one for $125-150

17. I would love to hear what Bongmania's opinion is on this.

Doner Designs likes this.
  18. Merci Rogatien022. Yeah that is a steal of a deal. I live 45-50 min from the Carrefour Laval. Wow I just might take a drive this Saturday. Thanks for the tip.

Rogatien022 likes this.
  19. Thanks blindrabbitI will definitely check out your link to Broughton Audio. I always like to support Canadian. I wondered about the Solidgoldfx comp which is built in Montreal but it is a little out of my price range unfortunately.

20. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    If you want a dedicated compressor with value for money the MXR M87 (or M76 if you don't like the white color) is very good. It also has a meter to see your level of compression.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021