Suggestion For Used or New Compressor $150 Max

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PJ Bassthumper, Jun 29, 2016.

1. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Rothwell Love Squeeze if you want clean. Several on Ebay at the moment.

PJ Bassthumper likes this.
  2. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    If you bump up your budget another $10 or $15 a used Diamond Bass Comp could be had. It sounds really good imo.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Canada? The Empress and Diamond are both awesome and Canadian (I like the Empress myself).

4. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Another vote for the Diamond. I have one and a MarkBass Compressore, and while they're different, the Diamond has a character that I like a lot.

Also, I wouldn't be shy about asking if people will ship to Canada. I find that if you're respectful, clear about being willing to pay the difference, and helpful with shipping suggestions (USPS Priority International! Saves on the 'brokerage' fee scam that UPS loves), folks will be flexible. Americans tend to be really nice folks.

Another option would be to go to your closest Long & McQuade, if you have one, and ask them to look in their national inventory for a used item of whatever you're looking for. I've had used gear shipped from all over for great prices. You'll probably have to pay a chunk up front for shipping, but it's usually fairly priced. I paid $110 for my Diamond this way...

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Apparently you don't live in Canada and shop the classifieds always getting shot down because of location.
    It's brutal mostly.

6. Thanks for the info. I work 2 blocks away from an L&M. I had no idea they even sold used gear, that is great to know. Also your right Americans are great. I go to the states 2-3 times a year and every second year I drive from Ottawa area to Pompano Beach Florida and have never had any issues. I have no issues paying the difference from shipping in CONUS to shipping to Canada. I will take your advice and respectfully ask if the are willing to ship to Canada if I go that route. Happy Canada Day.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    I like the compressor built into the original bass pod ...

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ya think?!? Don't need to go, either...half your country's population vacations here every year.

Any way we can sneak something back across the border in an RV?

Riis

9. out of your list there, the MXR DynaComp.

10. A lotta Yanks here offering advice about buying from a US-seller and shipping to the OP in Canada seem to be unaware that the Canadian dollar is not quite on par with the US greenback — US$1 = CAN$1.30, approximately.

Even a math-o-phobe like me can figure out the hike in cost is significant.

Agreed, both awesome — but even used the Empress is a wee bit beyond the OP's budget. The Diamond might show up within the specified budget once-in-a-while.

@PJ Bassthumper
    IMO: Try for a local used Diamond, or take Blind Rabbit's sage advice and get the Broughton – either one.

Happy Canada Day!

11. Wow so much great advice. Thanks so much TB Community. This has been great. So at 49 posts I thought I would try and show in the interest of helping others who are shopping in the same price range as me what the TB Community has recommended most. So here we go.

1. Diamond Bass Comp = 4 votes
    2. Keeley Bassist and TC Spectra Comp = 3 votes
    3. MXR M76 and MXR M87 and Markbass Compressore and EBS Multicomp and Seymor Duncan Studio Bass and Zoom B3 = 2 votes
    4 And the rest with one vote each
    Boss LMB 3
    Electro Harmix Bass Preacher
    Forest Green Compressor
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass
    Broughton Audio Monocle
    Boss CS-2
    Keeley 4 knob
    Rothwell Love Squeeze
    Empress
    BBE OPTO STOMP

I have so much to work with. I have 19 recommendations and I have went back to Bongomania's web site OVNILABS to try and make a short list. I have 13 I'm interested in.

12. holdfast

holdfast

Jan 27, 2014
    Toronto
    FuzzFacetious likes this.
  13. Used Darkglass Symmetry on ebay for 150

14. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I recommend either the EHX Bass Preacher or the TC Spectracomp. STAY AWAY from the Boss LMB-3.

Alex O likes this.
  15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
  16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    That's our senior citizens and you can keep them. ;)
    Not well to do to own an RV and vacation in Florida.

17. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The TravelPark here in Virginia Beach caters to those visitors from Quebec...the majority of the staff speaks French.

Holiday Travel - Virginia Beach

This is apparently the closest warm-water beach within easy driving distance.

Riis

18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Then we need to start a pipeline!

19. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    From the looks of things, it already exists and must be coupon day. Bien venue! Cigarettes are a good deal cheaper, too.

Riis

shawshank72 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021