1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestion of blues songs with nice basslines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    All,

I'm asked to propose some songs for the blues band I just joined. We cover at the moment mainly "standard blues" and I'm trying to push as well some more modern Blues-Rock, my ideal endstate would be a gig with two set:

1. A more "vintage" blues set (standard boues)
    2. A more modern blues-rock set (SRV, Hendrix, Bonamassa, John Mayer Trio, Cream)

Do you have suggestions about songs with a nice bassline especially for the Set 1?

I know the frontier of the above classification is arbitrary, but I'd love to have some nice basslines in the mix as well. I do understand bass is not in the spotlight in blues....but at least in more modern blues rock there are a lot of songs that have a very nice bassline ... what about the more "vintage"?

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    How about some "James Cotton" stuff?
    "100% Cotton"- has some GREAT bass on it.
    Very funky...

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Check out "Pat Ramsey" also....
    He played harp on Johnny Winter's "White, Hot & Blue" album..
    I was lucky enough to tour with him for a few years and play bass on his last CD..."Live at the Big Bend Blues Bash" before he died last year..

Jason Ricci is also doing a great job of "modernizing" Blues..If you can even say that!

4. saw him live,great show..... early tull or some of the brit blues guys has some nice stuff......willie dixon is a gold mine.....allman bros,butterfield,savoy brown ,big mama thornton,janis,junior wells,roy buchannan, j geils.......if you have xm check out dylan's show or tom petty......theres tons of great stuff that flies under mtv's radar

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Try these!

6. James Cotton - Boogie Thang

All the classics can be reworked into modern blues... blues is like the jazz. All the standards can be reworked a million times.

Anything by Willie Dixon... Spoonful, Hoochie Coochie, Backdoor Man,

Muddy Water - Good Morning Little School Girl (Grateful Dead's version is sloppy and fun)

Gov't Mule - Worried Down With The Blues - good slow blues, with some fun chords and hits

The Meters - Pungee

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    John Mayer Trio- Who did you think I was, Good love is on the way

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    :D

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Nice-- and good basslines don't really come together in the same thing!

10. joe bonnamassa.

11. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Nothin' "Nice" about Blues Bass Lines!

12. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Absolutely love them both, I hope the rest of the band will like them as well... they seem to be stuck in the 70s (didn't know JM3 and Bonamassa at all...)

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    "Full Moon on Main Street" - Kinsey Report
    "I Just Want to Make Love to You" - Robben Ford

14. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    So you played Highway 61 on that CD? That is a great rockin' blues bass line, wish I could have seen that live.

15. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Check out Coco Montoya.

http://www.rhapsody.com/coco-montoya

He's got some cool stuff that is a mix between modern and trad. Blues stuff. Very good. Incredible guitarist. The band I was in used to cover some of his stuff. "What's done is done" is a good one.

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    "Street Corner Talking" - Savoy Brown

17. john2718

john2718

Nov 5, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Not sure what you mean by "nice" ("nice and simple"? "nice and funky"? etc.), but a few of my favorites that standout are:

Albert King "Born on a Bad Sign"

[ with the great Duck Dunn on bass IIRC. Like the Thrill is Gone it's not complicated but it anchors the whole song ]

-- John

18. Here are some of my top faves. All have good or great basslines...
    Albert Collins/Iceman (bassist Johnny Gayden)
    Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, Robert Cray/Showdown (bassist Johnny Gayden)
    Buddy Guy/Damn Right I've got the Blues/Feels Like Rain/Slippin' In (bassist Greg Rzab)
    Otis Rush/Right Place Wrong Time
    SRV/Anything (bassist Tommy Shannon)
    BB King/Anything (BB likes to use some strange arrangements. He rarely sticks to 12 bar. Not easy stuff. He just makes it sound easy.)
    Hendrix/Anything blues. Especially his originals, Red House, Getting my Heart Back Together Again (aka Peoples Peoples Peoples), Hear my Train a Comin', and Drivin' South.

Also, there was already mention of Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters. Willie was the house bassist for Chess Records, as well as being a prolific writer. He wrote most of Muddy and Wolf's songs, and they would actually fight over them. You can have anybody pick their 10 all-time favorite Chicago blues tunes, and Willie wrote at least 7 or 8 of them. My personal favorite is Just to be with You. Muddy did that one. Anything by Willie is good, and just about anything on Chess Records is, too.
    That's all I can come up with, right now. Calling it a night. Hope this helps. hrb