Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion: PMs for deleted threads

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by DigMe, May 6, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think it would be nice to receive a PM if a user has a thread deleted. In OT there are four moderators. If a thread is deleted and I would like to discuss it with a moderator I'd have to PM all four of them first just to figure out who deleted it and therefore with whom I should discuss the deletion.

It would be great if this was automatic but either way would be fine.

I don't want any detailed exlanations, maybe just a "Deleted by me because of political content." Sometimes threads just disappear and I have no idea why as they haven't broken any of the rules stated in the stickies or in the official rules.

brad cook

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I requested this before... didn't really work. I've had a few threads deleted and I'm not sure why... a PM would be nice.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this entirely - I've seen things disappear and wonder what's going on - then have never got a reply from PM-ing moderators.

Some moderators are very good at letting you know why something was deleted - others just ignore any PMs.

I think there needs to be a consistent policy that is visible to all.

Maybe there could be a set list of reasons and a moderator could send a brief PM along the lines of "xxxxx deleted - refer to standard reason #5 " etc. etc.

I think this would be a big improvement to the site - greater clarity for all posters.

Something along the lines of :

Reasons why a Moderator has deleted a post/thread :

1. Inapproriate content - "adult"
    2. Inappropriate content - "political/religious" in wrong forum
    3. SPAM
    4. Disrespect to another member
    5. Wrong forum/duplicate thread/post

etc. etc.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with Matt Till and Bruce Lindfield.

brad cook

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Agreeing with me would just be you agreeing to the fact that I agree with you.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Agreed.

brad cook

7. Bruce Lindfield

So we're all agreeing - now what? :meh:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    "We all" so far is 3 of you.

It's been my experience that if a thread gets deleted, the person whose post is deemed to be against the rules gets the PM. I guess we can PM the thread starter as well but now it's the mods sending multiple PM's instead of you. All we've done is shift the problem over to people who have already got enough to do.

That's my take on it and my forum is nowhere near as much work as some of the others.

9. Not that I think there is the remotest chance it will make any difference, but can I say that I agree too? :)

My money would be on the status quo continuing, however. ;)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If a thread gets deleted here at TB its usually because of something in the original post. Otherwise it usually gets locked, not deleted.

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now we just sit back and wait for the PMs to come pouring in.

brad cook

12. Bruce Lindfield

I think this should be a minimum requirement - but I know from experience that it doesn't always happen, although some mods are very good at letting you now what happened.

I have seen many posts deleted which were against no rules I could find, with no explanation....

There seems to be no recourse and no process...

I don't like to bother Paul every time this happens, as I know he's very busy.

I think a defined process, would help everybody?

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    There are some posters that when I feel the need to edit or delete a post from them, I don't PM because either
    1.) they should have known better and I'm assuming they are just having a bad day.
    2.) I*know* they have been told / PMed before about the same typed posts
    3.) I really don't feel like reading the plethora of PMs either demanding something from me I feel they don't undeserved and/or insulting me through their tired faulty logic while asking me to hand in my Moderatorship.

:rolleyes:

14. i would love to see pm's for deleted threads but i can see how it would case a lot of time in pointless debate. James has been very good even emailing me if i do somthing against forum rules. maybe an automated system would be the answer. so you would recieve a pm from "forum bot" or somthing letting you know that the thread has been deleted but still keep people from harassing the mods?

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    and in your defense... all you did was mess with a spammer a bit ;)

The Bot for deleted threads is a cool idea. A pm to poster and mods of the section. That would stop all the mods from looking for a reported post after it's already been taken care of.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i generally always pm when i delete a thread or post.

like james said, there are some individuals who "know better, much better" and i occasionally fail to pm for every deletion.

overall, the rules are pretty well laid out, and the discresion of the mods comes into play only occasionally. I've seen some of the "behind the scenes" compaints re: deleted posts/threads, and it's a rare one that isn't obvious.

ultimately, this is paul's house, and we play by his rules.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, sometimes people know better but sometimes, as has been stated by several people here, it's not clear as to why a thread was deleted.

brad cook

18. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

So you don't like to bother Paul because he is very busy, don't you think that the mods are busy, too? We don't all sit around waiting with baited breath for posts to edit/delete, we have lives, too. And every once in a while we have gigs, too.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist: