Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion: Talkbass IRC Chat

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by stephanie, Sep 22, 2002.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    ...for those of us who aren't supporting members. :D

I'd love to chat with fellow Talkbassers as a group. I just don't have the money to become a supporting member and thus access the Talkbass Live Chat. I wouldn't be able to access it anyway b/c I can only access IRC chats on my system. I'm not computer literate and don't know much about the creation of IRC chats but would this be a possibility?

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't know jack about IRC, but if you're on the net you can use web-based ICQ at go.icq.com.

EDIT: I just realized you said GROUP. Oops.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hmmm...I don't even know if I can get ICQ on my WebTV system...

Anyway, Brooks had created a #Talkbass channel on Undernet IRC, but it hasn't seemed to take off. I talked to Brooks in there like the first day I read about it, and then checked in and out for a few days. Now I check in and there's no one there so I really don't know what happened to it.

I don't really know how IRC chats are created but I still think it would be cool to have this #talkbass IRC chat. Have it has a registered channel (I believe it is possible to use the talkbass server instead of something like Undernet) with set topics, maybe even bots (certain bots can you give you the weather in your city, even tell you when a user was last seen on the channel) and an op or two to keep things in order. :)

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hi Stephanie. It was nice chatting with you in #talkbass. By the way, I was very impressed, and somewhat surprised that the first four people to visit the channel were female bass players!

I still go there, but due to time difference, we probably miss each other. Problem is, threads like these get burried under new ones vey quickly, so only a few people find out about it. Regardless, I will keep UnderNet #talkbass going whenever I am online, which thanks to my job is at least 8-10 hours a day. Maybe few other people from here can fill in the rest of the 24 hour period, particularly the time slot suitable for US-based members.

Regarding registering a permanent channel, Undernet requires 10 supporters and a fairly busy channel before they will agree to do that, so at this point, I am not able to do it. Once (and IF) the channel gets busy, I can bring in a bot as well.