Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion: The Talkbass Reference Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philiprst, Jun 1, 2005.

1. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    There seems to be many people in this forum who have experience with speaker design and building. What do you think of the idea of pulling together and designing a DIY bass cabinet for the talkbass community? If anyone is interested perhaps a great starting point would be to discuss the basic criteria for such a cabinet: configuration (4x10,1x12,2x10), cost, parts availability etc....

Philip

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    While your suggestion comes from good intention, it may be a moot one. For every person that wants a loud cabinet there's one that wants a deep one. For every person that wants a deep one there's a person who wants smooth articulate highs too (which necessitates 2 or 3 way design that gets exceedingly complex). For every person that wants hifi there's a person who wants vintage. for every person willing to spend 200 dollars to build a cabinet there's one who is willing to spend 1000, etc...

To assemble a reference cabinet blueprint that would accomodate the most DIY'ers would require compromise from all variables and would likely result in a "jack of all trades, master of none" scenario that really wouldn't satisfy the needs for any particular player.

As a final point, the tools required to perform the construction of a design even that coincidentally met a player's goals are expensive, bulky, require extended practice and education to use properly. Such a setup would belong to someone who likely would be willing to self-educate regarding the intricacies of sealed, bass reflex, transmission line, or horn design to begin with.

I don't mean to discourage those of you who are interested in DIY cabinetry, but there simply isn't any way around the fact that to build something quality that meets your specific needs as a player, education, practice, tools, and money are absolutely necessary. Such prerequisites are way there are so many cabinet companies and cabinet designs out there to begin with. For those of you looking for reasonably high quality, good sounding cabinets that accomodate different player needs but want them at good dollar figures, Avatar is probably your best bet. For those of you that insist on DIY, get some good books on sound production, design, and carpentry and learn from a talented woodworker. Once you've designed your own cabinet that meets your specific needs and have all the resources to build it, go for it!

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    While I agree with K, let me propose a compromise. Let's agree on a standard form for sharing designs. At the very least it should include enough information to enter the design parameters into WinISD. This would include:

1. Driver selection and number of drivers
    2. Overall volume of cabinet
    3. Port tuning frequency or dimensions
    4. For 2-way systems, crossover point and tweeter selection
    5. Test conditions, particularly amp power

For transmission line designs, I suppose some other format would be needed.

4. get on with it!!! I'd like a few different plans for spkr boxes, spkr types for the boxes etc..... I just built a 2x10'' based on the new(ish) Fender one & it kicks well & good

5. buliwyf

buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    ill bump this thread.

no contributions yet? :confused:

6. buliwyf

buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    about the limiting factors (woodwork, electronics etc), can we consider that this is not really a hardcore "DIY" that the musician will be doing all alone in his room? i mean we could always get some friends to help :) someone whose good with woodwork, borrow pro tools from friends, etc. :)

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I thought we already had one?

The VL-208! :p

8. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I wouldn't worry too much about the level of experience needed. Limited skills can be overcome as long as there's a will to make it happen. That's not to say it'll be easy, just that it's not impossible. Also, the final result probably won't be pretty.

One of my favorite old-school cabs is a ported, plywood 1x15 that a friend of mine built with handtools in the 70's with plans he got from JBL. He's an all-thumbs unhandyman, a real "Rabbits and dados and dovetails! Oh my!" kind of guy. If he can build a great sounding, relatively light cab that hasn't rattled in 30 years, anyone can.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This all makes sense to me.

Sure, there are so many variables; drivers and cab types and whatever, but it makes sense to me that for such a 'referance' cab like this, you'd choose a driver that is fairly 'typical', available, and is expected to be produced for a long time - and then put It in a SEALED cab that's calculated for some logical optimization - like 'max output at 42Hz (low-E)', or so-many dB down at low-E or low-B.

OR: as close as we could get to a true 'infinte baffle' cab, where there's no back pressure, and no reflections back through the cone. That would be something like a 'deep' cab with an oversized rear port - or nearly open-backed - design, with a foot or more of fiberglass at the back. With this the cab itself would essentially be 'out of the picture'; it would be equivalent to having the driver mounted in a wall, with another room - or the great outdoors - behind it (the big difference between these would be that the 'true' I.B. would actually HAVE a large plane as a front baffle; our approximation would would be the same as far as reflections and back-pressure would be concerned, but there wouldn't be a large plane at the front).

Are we getting any where here?

Joe

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    How about breaking the project into two cabs:

1. Both high powered and portable

2. One hifi studio reference

3. One old school.