Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions about bass from Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobay45, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I recieved a Lakland Skyline JO5 yesterday that I purchased off of Ebay. The seller is apparently a music shop. The first thing that happened was that it was listed as active which I found to be false while talking to the seller right after the auction ended. I blew this off since I know that few of these basses are active and I bought it for a good price anyway. The other thing in the description was that the bass had "no scratched, dings or dents". I took it out of the box, then out of the gig bag and I found that the end of the headstock was crushed on the outer edge. The carton has no damage at all, so it won't be a UPS claim. The seller didn't have photos on his auctions, but he never does. His feedback was mostly positive otherwise I wouldn't have ever bid on it.
    What would you do? I sent him an email yesterday with a photo but have not heard from him yet. The image is too large to load here though.

2. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
  3. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    that doesnt look to bad! mabe smooth it in with some sand paper if you wanna do a bit of diy with it otherwise cant think of anything you can do

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Look at it as it's first battle scar. Now you won't have to worry about doing it yourself.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah. I like buying basses used that arent immaculate because i dont want to put the first damage on it :p.

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    dig

7. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    But he bought the bass thinking there were no dings or scartches. I would ask for some money back or I'd send it back and demand a full refund.

Andrew

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    If it was really a good deal I wouldn't sweat it. You can always leave negative feedback after calling or contacting the person and it's not met to your liking.

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What Andrew said.

I'd be upset too! If you don't hear from them on email soon, call! Post when you get a response.

Marshall

10. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I've heard from the seller and we are trying to work something out. He offered to let me return the bass or work out a credit to my card. We are discussing the amount now. I really want to keep this bass. It sounds great. He is trying to work with me and if we can get this resolved I won't leave negative feedback. He says he's the one that packaged it up and didn't see any damage at that time.

11. MingusBass

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Atleast you might get an even better deal now! Thats a pretty big gash not to notice..but whatev.

Andrew

12. MingusBass

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    So I'm curious... how good a deal did you get?

Andrew

13. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Good Luck.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Looks like this is one of those situations that will work itself out. A sweet deal is about to get even better for you.

As far as the damage....that would bother me, but it really isn't that bad.

-Mike

15. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Well, it's resolved. He agreed to credit my acct. for $50. I thought that was a fair figure for both of us. As I said before, I like the bass but I wouldn't have bid that high had I known about the damage beforehand. All that matters is that the right thing was done in the end. Thanks for all of your input.

16. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    $729 shipped with a gig bag. Now it will be $679 shipped.

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sounds like he worked with you....cool!

:)

18. It looks to me like that could have happened in shipping. Let's say the bass is sitting upright on a shelf and topples over with the first thing to hit being the top of the box. All the weight would shift and the end of the headstock would hit first without crushing the box. Have you ever cut your leg when you had jeans on and the jeans were fine?

I would check the strutural integrity of the neck, and if it is fine, I think you received fair compensation.

19. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Nothing wrong with the neck. The bass was inside a padded gig bag inside a box. I just don't see any way that it could have been damaged in shipping without damaging the box. I don't think I've ever seen a shelf on a UPS truck with enough clearance to put that box on it in the upright position either.

20. Have you seen the conveyors those things ride on in the sort stations? My wife worked for a large global shipper and she had to run failure and damage reports for the big accounts, and you wouldn't believe some of the things that could happen.