Suggestions Adding to stack...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwanzai, Dec 18, 2002.

1. kwanzai

Mar 25, 2002
    Hey all,

I currently have an Ampeg b2 350 watt head powering an SWR 4x10 cabinet, and was thinking about adding something else w/ $400. I thought that I was getting a lil too edgy of a sound, so i thought that i needed to get something like a 1x15 cabinet to take the lows. I was thinking ampeg BSE-115 cabinet...Is this a good idea?

2. If you're interested in 15's, yes, a BSE115 would be good...I personally like the sound of 18's over 15's...To me they're better for kick...and I like a real rumble to my tone...a 15 would give it to you...just not so much(I gotta have that extra rumble)...SWR makes 18's...Ampeg doesn't...and to me 18's give a nicer bottom end...If you're right with your EQ then they don't get too muddy...Use your ear...Use your head in a test with your setup and an 18/15 whatever....
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i would also much rather have an 18" than a 15". why? tone issues, i like the rumbly effect it has, and the larger amount of air it pushes. HOWEVER that 350 watt head of yours might not have enough power to cleanly push an 18" speaker. I run 250 watts into my 18, and its not nearly enough to get the tone i want. (im switching to more efficient tens in the near future) if your two cabs are of equal impedance its safe to assume that they are getting an equal proportion of the total wattage, so your 18 would only be getting 175 watts.

***try if before you buy it.***

i know mine sounds much tighter, cleaner and more musical if i put 1000 watts into it. unfortunatly i cant, as my amp isnt powerful enough.

of course i could be completely wrong about all of this, if so i apologize. its all just in my own experience.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree that the SWR cabs can get edgy, but I have always been able to solve the problem by reducing the tweeter level, sometimes drastically. You have probably already tried that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

As for adding a 1x15: if you get no assist from the PA system that might be a good idea for adding low end (although wattage is an issue, as mentioned above). If your bass does run through the PA, then I would recommend against it because the additional lows might muddy things up out front.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree that you need a lot of watts to properly push an 18, but when you do have the powere........look out!!!!
    400 shouls land you a good used eden 210 xlt which david nordschow (sic?) designed specifically to be a faster and puchier option to a 15.
    i used an eden 210xlt with a swr 410 driven by a head for years with a great full ound
    just remember to put the 210 under the 410 and to get an 8 ohm 210
  6. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I run an ampeg svt350H through a SWR Workingman 4x10 and an Ampeg SVT-1X15. I highly recommend picking up a cab with 15s in it -- very nice for the low end, especially when dealing with that SWR "edginess" (I find my SWR cab somewhat brittle, even with the teeter off -- I'm ultimately planning on replacing my SWR...anybody want to trade an ampeg svt 4x10 for it?...):D