Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions/Advice on these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackaroe, Jun 18, 2002.

1. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    i'm looking for something to play a good mix of everything, mostly finger funk (w/some slap). Jazz, Rock and Reggae. my budget is $400-850. ive looked through some search threads, and found a few of these auctions. Any Pros/Cons, Advice, other picks? Thanx for any help!

Stingray

Fender Jazz

mtd grender

johnson

2. Hi there..

I dont have any experience on any of those but the Jazz.
    I don't like them so I can't give you any advice on it, but I saw a pic of that Johnson, and it seems to me like the string spacing is minnimum, so it doesn't seem to be suitable for slapping.

3. The Stingray would be the ticket, but you need more than $800 for one unless you found one hidden somewhere on sale. They usually cost above a Grand.
    The Jazz Bass (MIM) is less than $400, and it would suit your needs very well. It's the only bass I own now, but I'm already itching to get new ones. These guys here with all their talk and praise can rub off and you get GAS like a m*******er. Already they got me wanting a Stingray, a Rickenbacker, a Lakland, and me with no scratch:mad: .

Aaron

4. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    so the jazz seems to be the most versatile, best choice??

5. In short yes, the Jazz will cover almost any territory you wanna go with. It's perfect for slapping and popping, it's pick friendly, and it can do it all...ask anyone else here and they'll tell you, the standard Jazz is the workhorse of the Bass World. Some people don't like the original strings and or pickups on it, but both are easily replaceable. I personally think the original pickups on it are just fine, but one day I'll wanna put in some DiMarzio's, EMG's or maybe some Bartolini's.

6. Holy Crap!!!

Bid on that Stingray. If you can get it for $850 or less DO IT.

I was under the impression that you wanted to buy a new one, but then I saw that you were gonna bid on E-Bay. That Stingray looks like it may have a few dings on the body, but at $650 it's a friggin steal. The Stingray is an excellent bass with all the same versatility as the J-Bass and then some. If someone else manages to snag it before you, then again I agree you should get the Jazz.

7. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    ya i was leaning towards that one, theres actually 2 of them up for auction. I thought i remembered reading on here that they weren't all that versatile. what are the downsides to a stingray?

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This recent thread may be of interest...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50725

I was curious what everyone thought the "most versatile affordable bass" is. The general concensus seems to be that G&Ls have the most variety of tones and that a P-bass sound will jibe with the most musical genres/styles. Perhaps a used G&L or P-bass would fit the bill...