Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions anyone??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devain21to7, Jun 28, 2004.

1. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Well, here I am again asking for help,I'm just a helpess bastard arent I?? hahaha. Yesterday I purchased a Truetone 50s vintage bass. Its real delicate , but it has a cool sixties sounding , psychedelic tone. So Im gonna limit myself to only using it in recording. Which would leave me with my J bass for gigging,but the thing about J basses, I love the sound of em, but the feel kills me. When Im playing it I feel like im holding a baby and dont wanna drop it. I just cant really groove with it. So what Im asking is can anyone suggest a good stage bass for me. Ive always been a Gibson/Epiphone and Fender guy , so Im kinda tired of the classics. And Im sure as hell tired of the sunburst color. So If you can tell me of a bass with pretty universal sound and some cool colors,please no sunburst or black. Ive gotten so tired of the classic colors, I want something thatll look good with a cool color , and no pickguard please. My budget is 650$ and if you could show me some pics or a website that would be great. Thanks to all.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha, G&L, MusicMan*, Spector, Warwick....

I think you get the idea. I would just head out to the music store and play as many basses as you can lay your hands on within your price range. Don't look at the label on the headstock, just play and listen. Then you will know exactly what you want.

Dan

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Two words....Lakland....Skyline. I dig the Inca Silver but they are available in Candy Apple Red, Black, Natural, Lake Placid Blue, and Sunburst (which you don't want.) Here is a photo but it's the 5 string version and I am referencing the 44-01 4 string version. If you could find a used 44-02 they are even nicer but the 01 is an incredible bargain.

http://www.lakland.com/basses/bass_gallery/skylines/sky_5_silver_lg_2.jpg