Suggestions - Best Amp for Lots of warmth and tone ?alved s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gerard Rizzardo, Feb 13, 2001.

1. New amp time. I've been using a Gallien/K RB400, for many years now. I want a to buy a new 400 watt or so Amp, that has a valve preamp this time. I'm looking for something that has a lot of Smooth & Warm Tone, but is still clear and not mushy ? My own possible thoughts are Eden Wt 400, SWR 350, Hartke 3500/5000. I play a lot of smooth Jazz and Funk etc on a Fretless 4 & Fretted 6 string. So I would really appreciate it, if a few suggestions and thoughts could be given, and if there are any other Amps I don't know of. Sorry I know this topic has been talked about before many times. I've Done many searches, but still confused & not sure. Being a bit of an old timer, I'm out of touch when it comes to hardware so to speak !!!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Smooth, warm and and clear tone? Sounds like Aguilar to me. Expensive gear, but it is believed to be one of the best bass amp brands.
  3. Aguilar is the best sounding amp on the market(IMO). You could get a new DB-359 for $1200 or so. 10 year warranty and one year on the tubes(4-6650s!!!)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aguilar- warmest, fattest tone I ever got.

If you're not willing to get a second mortgage for that set up, Ampeg has "The Bone Tone"
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I certainly agree with the Aguilar comments. I have an Eden WT-500 and D410XLT and while the Aguilar would be an upgrade ( at the appropriate upgrade price) I think that Eden would also fit your needs perfectly. Nothing wrong with SWR and Hartke - although of those two I like the SWR.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    go for a tube head (preferably one by ampeg or sunn from the 60s-70s). I'm pretty sure tube watts are way louder than ss watts, so a 1969 150 watt sunn tube head may be as loud as a eden 400 watt ss.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Gerard wanted a "clear and not mushy" tone, Victor.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My recommendation is to go for an EBS Fafner head and EBS cabinets. The Fafner has an all solid-state preamp and power amp, but has a tube placed in the signal path after the preamp but before the power amp stage. You can then dial in as much or as little tube as you'd like in your sound.

EBS makes fantastic gear that some compare, in terms of quality and sound, to the likes of Eden, Aguilar, Demeter, etc...In fact, Bass Player Magazine did a review of the Fafner a couple of years ago, saying "The only way to get more gigs is with talent", or something to that affect! In other words, you'll get some incredible tones out of this monster! And, it's got plenty o' headroom!

If you don't buy one, that's fine, but at least do yourself the service of trying one out before you buy;)
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    For warmth and power and whatever you can think of. Go with Ashdown!!!
    At least if you can´t afford Aguilar.
  11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you're looking for warmth, you cannot beat the Kern pre-amp. The voicing of the Kern responds wonderfully with a six string bass. I've also never found an amp that sounds as good with a fretless bass. Shop around, but you should check out the Kern.
  12. alack

Nov 20, 2000
    I have a GK 400 that warmed up as soon as I switched to SWR cabs. I do have a Hartke 3500 that sounds great through the tube pre amp. The solid state pre-amp isn't as good.
  13. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I played a Hartke 2000 (just like the 3500 but with less power) for about 8 years and I would definitely not consider it warm sounding, even with the tube pre-amp.
    I upgraded to a Hughes&Kettner BassBase400 - a lot more warmth.

14. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    I would also recomend a kern preamp, there amazingly warm and fat, plus they have a lot of adjustability. Also, you might want to check out ashdown stuff
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Keep the GK and invest in a Bass Pod Pro. Rack mount it with the head and you can dial up a wide variety of tones. The California setting, for instance, is fat as an outhouse rat.
  16. Hi Gerard,

As you can see there will be almost as many opinions as replies here, so the only advice I can give is to start with the amps you mentioned + the suggestions above and try them out:)

That said I'm happy with my Bass 350...;)
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    "has a lot of Smooth & Warm Tone, but is still clear"

Sounds like you are describing a Demeter preamp.
  18. Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    ashdown ashdown ashdown
    I may not have played 'em all, but I play lots of 'em, and when I got rid of my SM900, I got an Ashdown ABM500 and am not looking back. WARM yet cripsy... like a well-done tart!
  19. One more vote for the Kern 777 preamp:
    • great sound
    • versatile
    • simple and massively effective tone controls
    • easy to use
    • direct out to the board
    • under $700.
    Ask for the optional non-wallwart power supply at no extra charge.
  20. Ashdown ABM series.