Suggestions/Cautions: Rewire Jazz vol / blend / tone . . . . .

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J Wilson, Jul 22, 2018.

1. So . . . . . I have a Squier James Johnston Sig Jazz Bass, and am thinking of upgrading the pickups (and rewiring, new pots, caps, wire, etc.) to the passive EMG JV52 set. These are a new Rob Turner design, side by side humbuckers. BTW, the stock setup is fine, tone OK with no hums or noise, I just want to do a little hot-rodding and would prefer humbuckers.

EMG Pickups / JV52 Set / Passive / J Models / Bass / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

This is my first passive bass after many years of active instruments, that always had a single volume + balance layout, and I'd like to duplicate that on this axe with those pickups. Of course this comes with all the pots, plug in cables, etc., from EMG, and even I could probably plug all this stuff together . . . . . . but it's not the layout I want, and I don't solder (as far as I can tell, EMG offers a plug-in powered blend, but not a passive), so there I am.

Any suggestions or cautions would be very welcome regarding type / brand of pots, potential problems with this layout, whatever. I'm an electronic idiot, so I'll farm the work out after I buy all the components.

So I'm shamelessly hoping to leverage the knowledge base 'round here, so THANKS !!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

peter-j likes this.
  3. That's EXACTLY what I was after. Thanks a lot 96T !

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The one caution about passive blend is that you'll be sending each pickup through two volume pots. There will be a slight loss of signal strength and high end as compared to the same pickups in a VVT configuration, where the signal from each pickup only passes through one volume pot.

5. Thanks, LZ.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

But, you can leave the ground off the blend pot which then uses the pickup resistances against to DIM the output of a pickup instead of shunting to ground, however the dimmed pickup will not go to zero output, Further you can modify the pot to remedy that effect, but its not a huge deal. @walterw is the man on this.

Ultimate No-load Ungrounded Blend Pot (Pics!)

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I can vouch on the ungrounded blend working and sounding great. I did it on my P/J. The dimmed pickup is so low it can't be heard, anyway.

peter-j likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021