Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fbregy, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey.
    Looking for a good 1x12 cab. I am pretty new to bass after playing gu**ar for a while. I have discovered I do not like the sound of 10s or 15s alone but like the sound of a 12. I currently have a combo but would like to add a 12 to my current setup. None of the local shops carry anything but 10 or 15 inch speakers.

Thanks

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Several folks here speak highly of the Aguilar GS112... $399 from MusiciansFriend... I think that stroy05 has one for sale in the classifieds...

-robert

3. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks, I had heard good things about that cab. I will check out the classified.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what kind of band are you playing?

from my experiences, a 12" is good if its a small combo where the bass has to fill in alot of the low mid, low end. in my last group, it was just me, the drummer, pianist, and vocalist, so i had to make up alot of the lows.

but with a recent group of two guitars, keyboard, percussionist, drummer, 3 vocalists, it got a little dense, and the low end was thick with the keyboardist, guitars, and myself. so, a 2x10 was more appropriate. more punch and clarity than the otherwise less defined 12".

but, if you want something to just practice with at home, a 1x12 sounds great all around. good compromise of lows, yet still punchie.

as for cabs, hi end wise, there's bergantino for that sweet, rounded, glassy, hifi feel. there's aguilar for that thick, churny low mids tone. and Epifani for that airy, hifi, low booty butt punch.

on the more sensible side is genz benz for something sorta hifi, yet tough. Nemesis for that faux Eden aggressive kick. and scores of others for you to try.

good luck.

5. how about the Euphonis Audio CXL112

IMO a great cab! On it's own it has considerable volume and clarity while still producing an excellent spectrum of tones, mids and lows shine.

With it used in conjunction with the EA 110 it produce my ideal setup. I own the 110 combo and love it.

While the 112 is on the heavy side, it is a high end piece and very well made.

It's similary priced to the bergantino which are another favourite of mine.

At the end of the day, you need to inform us of what bass your playing and the sound your after.

But without knowing this i'd suggest the EA, it is in my opinion a all rounder that can reproduce, when coupled with the right head, any sound you can think of ;)

stu (EA user)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    When I was shopping for a second cab, I came very close to going with a Bag End S12-D. Sweet, sweet cab. I ended up with a second S15-D instead because I'm really a 15 kinda guy.

Check out Bag End!

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Here, Here. Or is it Hear, Hear
    Obviously, I'm not an Englishman :D

8. here here, I think old chap ;)

9. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey all, thanks for the input. I am currently playing an Ernie Ball sterling. Sound wise I like a nice fat round sound but with some clarity. I am probably not explaining this well since I am pretty new to bass. Maybe some players sounds will help. I like the sound of Geddy Lee, Squire, the guy from spocks beard, steely dans sound. I purchased a used SWR working man 12 which I like at lower volume but not when cranked up.

Thanks
    Frank

10. I have heard lots of good things about Avatar recently. Check them out- I think they make a 1 12 and it should be pretty cheap if you have a low budget- but comparable to more high end manufacturers.

11. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    What a shameless promotion! :D

One of these days, one of these days....

12. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    IMHO, the Workingman's 12 is really a practice amp - farts pretty bad if turned up at all.

I have a pair of Epifani T-112s, great cabs. Not cheap but I found mine used over at bassgear.com. Most of the time I just use one of these, either with a Stewart World 1.2 or GK1001RB. Big power helps the quality of the sound with these cabs.

As already mentioned, quite a few people like the Aguilar, Bergantino, and EA 112 cabs, too.

13. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes the working man twelve does fart out when turned up. It has been good as a first amp. I have considered the GK stuff such as the 7001 or whatever it is called. That is the only one they have at the local shop. I will probably play one this weekend.

Thanks

14. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    IMHO, the Workingman's 12 is really a practice amp - farts pretty bad if turned up at all.

On the topic of amps, any suggestions for a new amp? I have played through an ampeg SVT3 pro which and a nice sound. Any good preamp/power amp combinations out there that will not break the bank? I have seen several used ampeg preamps pretty cheap. I really liked the EB350 but it was a little above my price range.

15. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Being I'm also a bassist/guitarist, I suggest going with the Aguilar 1x12 (a pair is much better and very portable). The Aggie's sound great and you cant get a much better sounding cab for the price.

No experience with the SVT3 PRO but I have the 4 PRO and it's a great amp paired with the Aggie's though I like my SWR SM-500 better.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If I didn't have two of them already, I'd be all over this one! It would be a great deal for $170.00 or less total. Although, less than $170.00 would be much better. ;)

Genz Benz GB-12T