Suggestions for a 2nd bass to compliment exisiting setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neil2094, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Neil2094

Neil2094

Mar 24, 2014
    Hi All,

I play bass in a covers band that plays mainly 80's rock. Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Journey, Europe, Skid Row that sort of thing.
    I currently play a Fender Blacktop P bass through a Carvin BX500 and am looking for a 2nd bass to use as a number of our songs are dropped by a tone, our singer doesn't quite have the same range as we would like. Years ago I used to play an Ibanez SRX 705 and am thinking that this would be a good bet for songs that are dropped, however I think sentiment might be getting in the way.
    New or used doesn't really bother me,

Suggestions?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you liked the Ibanez, I don't see why you wouldn't go with that. If it were my choice, I'd go with a Fender American Jazz Deluxe V.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If it were me, I'd probably go with something I thought looked cool.

4. A 5 String is the best option in my opinion when u play with vocalists that need to drop songs into a lower key. It really doesn't take long to make the adjustment to a 5'er

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Don't lay it on your singer too badly. The songs of which you speak are firmly in the chemical castration zone.

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Why not just get a Hipshot Drop-D tuner? Then you can drop in-and-out of "E" to "whatever works" with a flick of the switch. The BT-7 should work fine, just like it does on my Blacktop Jazz.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would suggest going with an Ibanez as it will complement a Fender style bass pretty well. You'll have a passive bass and an active bass, the Fender and the Ibanez basses are very different- you'll cover quite a bit of tonal range there. However, when I think of the 80s, I think of active basses such as Ibanez, Aria, Steinberger. Being that you used to play an SR705 which is a five string, I would go with one of the SR series 5 strings... why not one of the new SR1805's?

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If it's just a few problem songs, have you considered "un-dropping" them? We play all covers in keys where we can sing comfortably, regardless of what key the original is in. Most of the time it's the original key, but a few we change.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd go for a 5 string... and something Lakland or Fenderish

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you like Ibanez, that would probably be a good choice because, as Maxdusty said, it will be a good complement to the Fender. However, if you like Fender type tones but want something that extends into other territory, I'd suggest a G&L L-2500 or M-2500. If you don't want to spend for a U.S. model, go with the Tribute versions which are excellent. These are incredibly versatile basses, with the M-2500's all active electronics providing the more "modern" take on the dual MFD humbucker theme. The L-2500 can be a bit more aggressive, but the M-2500 hits hard and only seems tame in comparison to the L. I normally prefer passive basses, but absolutely love my M-2500, and IMO these are perfect complements to passive Fender fours.

Check out Ed Friedland's comparison of the L and M fivers:

As for five v. four, I've done the drop tuner thing and the five string thing. If it's only about playing a couple of rock songs in D, IMO the drop tuner is fine and I actually prefer it in some cases. But a five provides much more flexibility, and would be my recommendation in your case.

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The obvious choice would be a Jazz to go with the P.

But i'd recommend a 5er as well.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, no kidding. Bon Jovi bails on the high notes these days, too.

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Jimmy M sighting! Always got my Devo hat on, just in case...

14. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    add a Spector for the aggresive drop tuned stuff. Goes well with some of the 80's stuff az well.

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Having a single string downtuned is not going to be the most useful thing when you're trying to transpose an entire song. Unless it's a very simple song.
    I mean, you could get four drop tuners, but for the price of that you can get a decent bass these days.

16. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    5-string; I had the same problem with some of the songs we are playing (Toto, early U2), and 5 strings helped a LOT.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'd also suggest getting a 5 string. The G&L offerings are solid options, a good Fender 5 would also be useful.

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    A Jazz 5 would be the perfect compliment to a Pbass. For 80's stuff I'd lean towards an active Spector or Fender/Squier with jazz pickups or possibly a P/J configuration.

19. Neil2094

Neil2094

Mar 24, 2014
    I missed out on the Ibanez SRX 705 on the bay. Slightly hampered as the ones I have seen so far have all been in the USA with high shipping, understandably. I'm err'ing on the side of spending a bit on a USA J-bass maybe swap out the pickups for active and hang onto for a long time. Only doubts in my mind are already owning a P-bass do I want another Fender.

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just a note on that; pickups are rarely active, what you usually do is replace the volume and tone pots in the bass with an active preamp/EQ.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021