Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a 5-string P-bass(besides fender)??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmcd, Mar 17, 2006.

1. pmcd

pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on who makes a 5 string bass with a passive P-style pickup. I thought about the Yamaha BB series,but the string spacing is was too narrow. I know Sadowsky makes em',but that lottery win is still pending.:) I wish Fender would make a cooler 5 string P. Don't like the look,electronics,bridge PU,etc. Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated. THanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're looking for something not in the Sadowsky / Lull price range, Valenti make some nice ones.

Nino made me this P/J 5.
    [​IMG]
    Alder body, Nordstrand pickups, Aguilar preamp. Depending on your options, somewhere between $1400 and $1500 new.

I was browing his in progress pics and saw this one as well:
    [​IMG]

3. Whoa......those two are nice!!

I love the P/J 5. That's muy caliente.

-Bernie

4. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Oh my god! That rootbeer one is killin' me. Wow!

Lulls aren't as expensive as the Sadowskys. I paid $1600 used for myolder one a a few years ago, and just over 2 for my newer one fresh from the factory.:bag:

[​IMG]

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow. Just Wow.

When I saw the first one, my reaction was, "Whoa, that's awesome."

I think my brain blew a fuse when I saw the second one. Jeez, that's incredible.

6. pmcd

pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    yeah, the root beer valenti is pretty freakin' cool...Keep em' coming boys. Loving the immediate suggestons...

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're really poor, you could look at a Godin Freeway 5, which is a passive P/J bass. I tried one yesterday and was pretty impressed for the money (around $500 or so street). Do a search for "freeway" for other folks opinions.

If you've got a larger budget, I'd go with the Valenti, and a 5-string P/J Valenti is probably my next bass, if I can get my way . . . :D

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nino's PJs would be my call. I'm a big time P-bass lover, and when I had a lull I didn't really care for it. It was a well made bass, and nice in its own way, but just didn't seem like a precision to me.

This thread should be a lot of help: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217928

The G&L L2500 was probably the closest I've tried so far, next one I want to try is a Valenti with the nordstrands.

9. The old OLD Yamaha TRB5 used to have a P/J pickup setup and wider string spacing, if memory serves.

10. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I believe my Lulls are 13/16 center to center at the bridge. Does that sound right?

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you like the vintage look (that doesn't necessarily have to be vintage), then definitely look into the Benavente 51 model!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13/16" would be slightly wider than 3/4". That might well be true with yours, but the Lull P5 I owned (one of the early ones) was more like 11/16".

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky makes a P5 but at a lower price point I would also highly recomend Valenti :bassist: