Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a 6 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian Coccio, May 8, 2002.

1. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Anybody have any suggestions for a good 6 string under $2800? Would like a neck thru. 3 piece body would be nice not reqd. though. Ive had my eyes on some of the Ken Smith BSR6GNs, but they are just out of my price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Very personal suggestion :

[​IMG]

This is a Vigier Arpege III, and it has many interesting features, such as memory banks.

You can check it there :
    http://www.vigierguitars.com

Hope this helps,

All the best,

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hanewinckel should be able to build you a nice one for that. Well, it'd be close. An Artist 6-string NT lists for $3000, it'd be a bit less "retal" (sold direct but at a discount).

http://www.hguitars.com/

For your money you'd get a very nice hand-made custom bass, with a 5-piece neck and maple or walnut top (other woods are available, ask Pete, some might be more), Bartolini soapbars and 3-band preamp.

Also, I'm sure that while I was typing this several people have chimed in suggesting the Peavey Cirrus. :)

4. how about a DP custom? Jeff Rader had a nice 6er made just recently. I like my 5 he made me.

5. As long as we're on a custom kick, here's a plug for Matt Schmill, also know as FBB Custom. TBer xush and I have FBB 5s and are delighted with the results. xush is having Matt build him a 4-string, while I have my eye set on #029-00 on his inventory page.

6. I'm selling my Roscoe 6 string right now. It is an SKB3006 with an exibtion quilt top, spanish cedar back, spalted purpleheart fingerboard, ivory nut and bartolini pickups with NTMB (3 band with switchable mid) preamp. Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

-Chris