Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a Begginer Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunze, Apr 6, 2004.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    I'm really interested in playing the bass, and was just wondering what your guys suggestions were for a good begginer bass. not so begginer that it is crappy, but still so it isn't too spendy. i am working with a pretty limited budget, so, any suggestions would be awesome!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    those are some pretty cheap basses! are they pretty good quality though? and which one do you think is best for beggining?

4. I recomend any of the p-basses at the top or the jazz basses at the bottom. Good starters.

They're great basses for practice. The wood's not fancy and the hardware is about the cheapest you can get.

At the local music shop, $375-$450 will buy a very decent axe in most cases if you're looking for something a little nicer.

5. sx precision bass... its dirt cheap, and if you wanna upgrade the pickup theres only one so its a cheap upgrade... ive played them at rondo in person and it will more than suit your needs as is

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What he said ^^^

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Wow, that's actually a pretty decent bass for that price. When those first came out, they wanted 500'ish for those... I guess noone bought 'em.

8. ...and if you don't need the 5 string you can get the rbx774 from musicians friend for $250 (buy an extra $49 of stuff and get free shipping to boot)
    having recently bought two, I am simply amazed at the quality for $250. I guess that's because it was designed to be a $450-500 or so bass.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Me too, Erik. Honestly, before I bought my 55-01, I looked at these. I just didn't like the pre-fab fiberglassy feel, as opposed to my Lakland. Plus, GC was still asking almost $500 at the time.

10. Actually, I don't really like the look taht much (though i'm getting used to it). I would much rather have owned a nice transparent wood-look bass or a Jazz, but there were not at thta price worth owning. I debated spending more to get one but ran into the age-old bass equation: (more for bass = less for amp). having saved on the bass, i could afford a roland db500 instead of a 20w practice combo.

that's something people tend to forget when they're considering... sure, you'll get better sound from a nicer bass. but when you're talking sound for the MONEY, and assuming you want to be able to have someone else hear it, you have to consider the $$ left to buy an amp.

I am happy as a clam so far. not if only UPS would deliver my $#^%$%^$! amp!!!! :D

11. how limited of a budget are we talking about like around 300?