Suggestions for a fender bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I need some help, i'm looking for a new bass perfered a fender bass. i play a punk/ska/rock kind of thing. i have been looking at the mark hoppus signature bass, i love the output but hate the limiting factor of no tone knob. I have look at standard p-bass and really didn't care to much about it, i wish it was punchier, louder, and brighter. I even thought of putting a semour duncon quarter pound p-bass pick-up on the fender p-bass, but i'm not to sure how that would work out. I though of maybe a jazz bass, or even on of those combination p-bass jass bass deals and replacing the pick-ups with semour duncon quarter pound p-bass and jazz bass pickups. But so far i think my best bet wouldn't be fender at all but something like a music man stingray but to me the stingray just lacks that that fell i prefer so much. so can anyone out there help me?
  2. talk to nino about a valenti
  3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i recorded a bunch of Dub awhile ago on my friends 69 P. it was pretty sweet. endless bottom end but enough treb to keep it all together. very sublime-ish with a little bit of that jamerson boom. extremely nice. I'll see if i can get a mp3 on here but i'm horrible with computers.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. And don't give up on the P-Bass so fast! IMHO the P-Bass tone is it for punk. Ask Nino to build you a P-style bass with a P/J pickup configuration and you're set for Ska, Punk, and many, many different styles of music.

Or look at the black Mike Lull P/J bass at Jay's is offering a discount on it BTW.
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    If you like the Hoppus bass but don't like the lack of a tone control, it wouldn't cost very much to install one.
  6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    In all honesty, every Fender sounds different. They share characteristics, but the same neck and the same strings and the same electronics on different bodies will result in completely different sounding basses.

So play as many P type basses as you can find in your price range until one sounds and feels right to you.

I love Fenders, and I own quite a few, but for every one Fender that I've bought I've played about 50 that didn't do it for me.

Also, beware the Bedroom Volume vs Stage Volume trap. Some basses and pickups that sound great at low volumes ("man, that thing has awesome lows and a killer attack") turn out to be awful on stage ("it's boomy and clangy"). Meanwhile, the one that made you go "meh" when you played it at the store may have the perfect sound at stage volume.

Our hearing is not linear- do a Google search on Fletcher-Munson to find out more about this. It's very important for bassists to know.

All that said, my advice would be to try a bunch of MIM or MIJ Classic 60s basses (Ps and Js) until you find one you like. Really good quality, tough instruments, and you can put replacement pickups in down the road if you think necessary.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think this applies to any bass. The beauty of any instrument is that it has its own character. Like Lyle said, find the character bass that suits you.

Learned this the hard way. It pays to purchase locally and take the bass to practice or a gig ASAP and determine if it makes the grade or not. Could even be worth a restocking fee.

Excellent advice. I'll will have to search on Fletcher-Munson, sounds interesting.

8. If you are really keen on a Fender, get a Jazz. Otherwise, I would say get a Stingray :)
  9. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    thankx all for the good advise and such, it is very helpful, especialy Lyle Caldwell. to put what i am looking for bluntly is I was a lound, punchy, and bright sounding fender bass that would be good for a punk/ska/rock syle. thanx
  10. Hot tip #1: it (the Fender you want ) rhymes with "snazzy'" :hyper:
    Hot tip #2: keep fresh stainless rounds on her :ninja:
  11. Get a Geddy Lee Sig Jazz. They are probably the best Fender for the money & for what you want it for. :D
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Get a Lull or a Fender Jazz.

Then again, a Pbass with fresh roundwounds and playing with a pick is perfect for punk.
  13. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Great advice, man...