Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for a five string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris643, Jun 6, 2003.

1. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    hey all-
    i'm looking into buying a new bass... i was thinking of a five string under about 650$ or so... i want something versatile since i'm not too focused on any one type of music.

two that i've checked out are the Fender Deluxe active Jazz Bass V and the Spector Pro Q5.

which would you recommend out of these, or do you have different suggestions?

thanks a lot

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Get a used lakland skyline if you can find one at that price, or an MTD heir, maybe you can find one that has been upgraded. I sold one for 500, and it totally rocked!

3. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    i'm bumpin this and making it a little more specific since i didn't seen to get too many responses...

which do you like better?

Fender Active Deluxe Jazz Bass V
    Spector Pro Q5
    Schecter C-5

again, i'm looking to spend up to $600-650

4. Spectors are really nice man, even their lower end stuff(from my experience anyway) and they are pretty versatile.
    Personally id go with the Spector.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd take the Fender.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lakland Skyline 55-01

7. Why would you wanna play a 5 string?

;)

8. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Have you thought about Carvin? I own a Carvin LB75 and a USA Fender Deluxe 5. For the money, the Carvins can't be beat. The Carvins are running $475-550 on Ebay.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    another vote for mtd heir.

10. MauriLii

MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    I realize that it's not on your list, but I have a Yamaha BB605. For the money, it's a fantastic bass. Great sound, great neck, great overall feel. Okay, so it doesn't have a name like Fender or Lakland or Spector on it but give it a try.

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If the Fender is that FMT model, the cool looking one, then go for the Fender, otherwise the other Fender (with the 5 string on top thing) I've played had a floppy B string.. Get a KSD! Thats what I'm getting :p