Suggestions for a good combo amp in the $140 range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSully72, Jul 21, 2004.

1. RSully72

May 31, 2004
    Hi all,

After doing a lot of research in the TB Bass Forum I just bought my first "starter" bass. I went with an SX (Essex) SPB-57TM. Basically a P-Bass clone, but a very good one based on the reviews. Should be here in about a week...I can't wait! :hyper:
    Now I need a good starter practice amp somewhere in the $140 price range. Based on reviews (I did do a search), I have a few possibilities, and wanted to get some opinions:

Peavey Microbass III $140 - has a lot of good reviews. Made in China ones may not have same quality
    Ashdown After Eight $100 - Can't find many reviews, but Ashdown has great reputation
    Ashdown Perfect Ten $140 - Same as After Eight
    Hartke B300 $140 - friend has a Hartke Kickback which sounds great, but not sure about their entry-level models
    Hartke A25 $170 - A bit out of my price range, but has aluminum driver that I liked in the Kickback
    Crate BT15 $120 - Have not been a big Crate fan, but their new combos are supposed to be better, and I got to play around with the larger BT25 and kinda liked it
    Crate BT25 $175 - to the BT15, adds more power (25W), a distortion channel, and a built-in chromatic tuner

Unfortunately, I can't demo of these models except the Crate, so I would love any feedback on any of these combo possibilities, or any suggestions for other combos in that price range. Thanks!

2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Out of those, Id go with the Ashdowns (especially Perfect 10). I like the Ashdown, but its very distinctive and if you dont like it then buying the combo will be waste of your money. try and demo it, or at least find Ashdown sound clips on Basstaster.

Second Choice would be the Microbass, seems its the starter amp around here.

Then the Hartkes, but they also have a distinctive sound, which I dont care for. Its not any less of an amp than the Ashdowns, just personal preference.

The Crates would feature bottom of my list. :scowl:

3. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Ashdown perfect ten. 35 watts and a ten incher. Bass sounds killer through a ten. Also try the swr l.a. series 10. Same specs. A little more expensive ($180) but also a very different sound. I personally prefer the ashdown