suggestions for a head for two Aggie 1x12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by des00s, Jan 2, 2006.

1. des00s

Jan 2, 2006
    Can anyone give me their opinion on which head I should buy to use with my two Aggie 1x12s? I play the blues/southern rock.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My GK 1001 II works very well with my Aggie S210 and GS112...

3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I heard the amps forum works quite well for things like these.
  4. This should be in Amps. But Aguilar cabs are pretty versatile (I'm told), so I think you should just go for a tone you like. A lot of blues players swear by tube amps, that might be a venue to try out. Mesa, SWR, etc...
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Btw welcome to TB :)
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB!

Moved to Amps...
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Try a Mesa M-Pulse 600. You will not be disappointed. ;)
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Eden, Ashdown, GK, Aguilar (obviously) Thunderfunk, Epifani, Good pre-amp/power amp combination. Regardless, go with 1.5X the recommended power for the cabinets if not 2X. headroom is key, my Aguilar GS112's work well with my GK1001-II but a 1000 watts wouldnt be wasted trust me.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much you willing to spend?

i'm a fan of brand on brand rigs. they sound good for good reason. ;) so, try finding a used Aguilar DB750. just unreal w/ the ol' GS112 pair. course, the AG500 is a much lighter and great sounding alternative. not quite as buttery or tubey fat, but still has that great aguilar "ampeg on steriods" sound.

again, many of these heads can be found used at good prices, so a little leg work goes a long way.
  10. des00s

Jan 2, 2006
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!
  11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    In my experience, I've found GK heads to sound great through Aguilar cabs. Plus, they're not going to rob your checkbook.

At the same time I, like joker, am a huge fan of brand on brand rigs as well.

I would also recommend checking out the different Aguilar heads. I used a DB359 for a while, and I'd check one out if you have the chance. They can be found at various prices, I bought mine for somewhere in the range of $950.

The DB750 with 2 GS112s would sound amazing. Hands down. I've never experienced this rig; but I can only imagine.

How much power are you looking for exactly?
  12. des00s

Jan 2, 2006
    Thanks again for the replies. I think I am going to go with a Mesa Walkabout. Now if I can only find one!
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a "classic" matchup, and it should serve you well!