Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a head that can run two cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So I bought Dave Grossman's SWR triad and now I need a head that's powerful enough to run it and my Epifani 310, or either one individually. Any suggestions?

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Certainly Carvin's R1000 will give you lots of power for a reasonable price. I believe it's 350w @ 4 ohms per side, 500w @ 2 ohms perside, 700w bridged @ 8 ohms, or 1000w bridged @ 4 ohms. I found the R series to be pretty dynamic, and liked it a lot, but in the end I opted for an Ampeg sound.

I like the Ampeg SVT400T, it has two 200w power amps @ 4 ohms or you can bridge it for 400w @ 8 ohms. I got that one for $240 (but it included a B25 cab and a MIM Fender P :D).

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Oooo, be careful........

Do NOT hook both these cabinets up to an amp in the typical way (parallel) until you make ABSOLUTELY SURE the amp is rated for a 2 ohm load; most are not.

Triad cab is 4ohm, the Epiphani 3x10 is 5.53; running these cabs together will create a load (between 2-3 ohms) too low for any head I've ever seen. Many power amps will handle a 2 ohm load in stereo mode, but none that I know of will do so bridged. So, bottom line, if you want to run both these cabs at the same time, you will need a 2 channel power amp, run one cab off of each channel. Probably the best idea anyway, as this will let you control the volume balance of each cab.

You *could* do some creative wiring such that the two cabs are wired together in series, yielding a load of 9-10 ohms. This way you could run both cabs with practically any head, but you wouldn't be getting much wattage out of it, and you would have no control over the volume balance of each cab.

4. most ampeg heads go down to 2 ohms, as does the peavey firebass.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Aguilar DB 750

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hartke 7000 - bi amp - 350 watts per side @4ohms

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey, nice signature DHC! Those jeans are hideous/ridiculous!:p :D

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    With a stereo amp in stereo mode, it isn't a 2 ohm load, it's a 4 ohm/side load. The amp doesn't treat it as a single load, it treats it as two loads.

You're absolutely right about attempting to *bridge* a stereo amp into a 2 ohm load, though--that's like trying to run 1 ohm/side, and it's bad news!

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Most any stereo power amp can do this.

Mine, QSC RMX 2450, will handle up to two x 2ohm loads up to 1200watts per channel.

Hooking up two 4ohm loads will be 750watts per channel.

Two 8ohm loads to 500watts per channel.