1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions For a Head to Pair With an Avatar 210 Neo cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoomerChild, Mar 30, 2009.

1. BoomerChild

BoomerChild

Mar 8, 2009
    So I just bought an Avatar 210 NEO cab (8 Ohms) and love the weight, but haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet, seeing as how I'm headless. Any suggestions on a head, all considered.

BTW I play rock funk alternative EVERYTHING in that region, or pretty darn near it.

Thanks!

:help:

2. I just picked up a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and it sounds really good with the Avatar 2x10 in my opinion.
    If weight and size isnt an option then you have many more heads to choose from Eden,Aguilar,etc depending on your budget also do you want to expand and add another cab?

3. BoomerChild

BoomerChild

Mar 8, 2009
    I'd like to stay low on the weight and price but I'm willing to go out on a limb for a nice head. And yes I do, not in the near future but probably by fall.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Boomer,
    There are so many good heads right now that would go great with an Avatar cab.
    As Fuzz said the Genz Benz shuttle's 3.0 and 6.0.
    The MarkBass LMII.
    Eden WT 550, WT 405, or their new WTX 500.
    My personal favorite, G.K. 700, 800, or 1001 heads. G.K. has a new micro head on the market now, the MB2-500. It hasn't proven to be as reliable as the normal G.K. product....yet.
    If your trying to keep costs down I'd suggest trying the T.B. classifieds for used heads first. Used G.K. 700's, 800's, 1001's pop-up often. With MarkBass and Genz Benz just releasing new models, like new LM II's and Shuttles are being sold off to get the newer ones.
    If you'd like a "new" inexpensive head that sounds pretty good, check out G.C.'s Acoustic heads. You can get a 200 watt head with all the needed bells and whistles for $249.00.
    They also have a 600 watt model that's $449.00.
    My personal amp is a Aphex Bass Exciter into a G.K. 800 into a Avatar cabinet. I really like it.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Love my NeoPak with my 1 or 2 4ohm Avatar b210's.
    [​IMG]

6. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Carvin BX500

7. BoomerChild

BoomerChild

Mar 8, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion shoot-r, I found a GK 1001RB2 that I'm probably gonna settle on for around $350, but I'll keep looking, I already looked into the LM2 and I want to use the full power of the cab and additional one that I might add in the future, so I steered away from Markbass.

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    700 G.K. watts for $350.00 seems like a bargain to me!

9. BoomerChild

BoomerChild

Mar 8, 2009
    And in case I can't pick up this head, any other suggestions to go well with this cab? I really hope I'm not too late but just in case I need a back up plan.

Thanks for the advice!:)

:bassist:

10. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I'm doing the same thing...downsizing to a avatar 2x10 and I picked an swr bass 350...still waiting on my cab but the head is here

11. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I use a WT-400.

12. "Love my NeoPak with my 1 or 2 4ohm Avatar b210's"

+1

Actually, more "strongly like" but a great compact plenty loud rig.

13. BoomerChild

BoomerChild

Mar 8, 2009
    So the guy who I was gonna buy the GK 1001RBII from sold it out from underneath of me and I'm still headless....:crying:

So I need a head! Not really looking for a head to power the entire 500 watts, more along the lines of something cheap but good for the time being. Any thoughts?:help:

14. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    Any thoughts on going with the 2x210 Neo Avatar vs a 4x10Neo

I know there is a price difference ( not an issue) and the 2x210's would give you 1 more horn.

I'm looking at this with a Nemesis RS-700 head. I'm thinking with the 210 's at 4 oms each (2 ohm load) the head would use max power vs the 4 ohm 410.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Power comes from the amplifier. The RMS wattage ratings on your cab are where the voice coils begin to fry. You could use an amp from 100 up to 1000 watts with that cab, but would always use your ears to determine how happy the cab is to oblige. For cheap, I'd still look for a used head. If you want new, the Acoustic B200 or B600 are both good choices.

16. carvin.

*cough*

at least, if you're going for the small D class amps, theirs is good to 2 ohms, and it's cheaper. and probably sounds better.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A great choice, IMHO. You'd have a rig with two cabs you could stack vertically (like stflbn), but @ 4 ohms each, you could draw the entire 700 watts out of the Nemesis head. Should make a wonderful little club rig... :meh:

MM