Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have been fiddling around with some jazz basses and decided I am crazy about the jazz tone and I need to have one (a 4 string). I'd like to get a fender since I get discounts on them, but I don't know which model. I'd like not to go above 1,000 retail. Two that I've got my eye on are the highway 1 and the Geddy Lee model. Does anybody have sound clips of either or could somebody just fill me in on the differences in fender's different kinds of jazzes?

Also- I love slap, so slap sound is a big factor.

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I just got my Geddy a few months ago. Incredibly playable bass. The neck is really thin, some like it, others don't. I was never really into slapping, only when I had to, but I must say, I sound pretty good slapping on this thing!:D I'm actually doing it more now! AS far as how it sounds, listen to Rush's Moving Pictures, there's no question that's the tone. Definitely try one first about the neck though, it really is amazingly thin

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    the geddy sig is a wonderful bass. I can see it being light years ahead of the highway 1.

For the value check out other fender MIJ's such as aerodyne or others on ibashi. You'll save your self a bundle and walk away with a really playable bass.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    The Marcus Miller Sig. Jazz has a KILLER slap tone, bro. ...as you might've guessed.

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm thinking of going with the Geddy Lee one, although I don't want to RUSH into a big purchase.... ooooh I'm terrible. How would you describe the sound of the GL, old school, vintage, crunchy, fat, agressive?.... those kinds of things

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have a clip of the Geddy, but many have said it was uncharacteristic of the bass.

lemme know if you wanna hear it anyway.

fred

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Cool clip, do you have one of both pickups?

10. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    go with the marcus miller! That bass has killer slap tone, one of the best IMO. I have played quite a few and we be all over one in a second if i had the $$$$

11. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well the Geddy Lee is $900, the MM is $1,900

12. I thought that the geddy lee was like 600 something on musicians friend

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    um... are you thinking about manufacturer's listed price? and the 5 string? the MM goes for about 600s... and so do the Geddy's

14. well the mm like american one is really expensive. or one of the mm's are.

15. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    if you can find an early seventies Ibanez "lawsuit" jazz bass, grab it :)

16. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    the GL, while versatile, IMHO fat and old school.

But like I said still versatile!

17. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Looks good, but I kind of like more of a modern "grrrr" sounding tone like Tim from RATM. Since the GL model looks pretty cool and seems to be built well could I just drop some different pickups in it or would it be more worth it to go after a totally different bass?

Keep in mind I'd really like to stay under 1,000 retail

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I dont really like the Geddy Lee Neck... In fact I HATE it. But it's all up to you, if you like it GET IT, if you dont like it dont get it...

But IMO you should get a MIA Jazz Bass.

Good luck.

Have fun with wichever bass you choose.

19. Eskimo, I suggest, to most people, to try the bass for a while before changing the pickups out. Heck you don't even have the bass yet and, you are planning on changing the pups, do you know that bass that well?

Do you see what I'm talking about? The bass may sound very mwah in your hands, you never know until you try it.

Have you considered a good used MIA Jazz Bass? That would be well within your 1000.00 budget.

[​IMG]
    Treena