Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for a lightweight cab that i can get used @ low $

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, folks i am searching for a bass cab that has three characteritics: light, min. 200 watts, cheap on the used market.

i am thinking about the ampeg pb-110, and the gk 112mbx

the gk is super light at 12lbs, but its only 100watts. however, for band practice (one guitar, drummer, singer and me) it may do. we are not a loud band.

suggestions on other lightweight cabs that will be suitable for my lightweight wallet?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The GK doesn't throw worth a crap. It is light, though. The Ampeg PB sounds more logical. Check the used market for a Flitesound...they are amazing for a light cab, especially the 123W. The 103W is good too, but smaller.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you are lucky sometimes you can score a used bag end for 250 or so. usually the older black painted models. about 46 pounds. Otherwise, you really do have to try a bunch out before you buy. A lot of those light cheap 1x15 cabs came that way at the cost of tone and volume. But you can get some surprises. At a church gig i was using an old no name small 1x15 pa cab with a burned out tweeter. Sounded killer and was light. Go figure. :p

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You can find a used Aggie 1x12 for around 300 dollars, or less sometimes. Great for coffehouse gigs and smokin for an upright.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1
    for some reason i thought you were only looking at 1x15's
    great cabs

6. Beat me to it.
    :smug:

Edit: I see them on ebay constantly. Good luck.

7. Dr.Bass ?

8. Need to know if you want coated or rat fur?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

huh?

okay, maybe i should be more specific.
    the cab should be under 30lb and under $200 used

hope i am not asking too much. i dont drive *read certifiable eco-freak* so the whole deal has to be light, light, light!

how about this little dealy: ampeg pb-110. its rated at 200 watts @4ohms so it should be loud enough for rehearsal right? my band is not too loud. Will i get enough low-end? I am not a low-end freak. as long as its reasonable its fine with me.

i'll probably have to get a second cab later on for gigs. FYI i will be using a swr st220

10. You can get a used Flitesound cab. The 15" model is only like 20 lbs and handles 400 watts.

I would also recommend a used E A Whizzy, at 29 lbs. The retail is like just over 400 so you should be able to find a used one for just over half or retail.

Recap: Flitesound or EA Whizzy.

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would stay away from a 1x10 as your only cabinet, it probably just won't be loud enough.

12. Eden CX110 or

Hevos Midget.

Go check out your local authorized Hevos dealer.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    even at 200watts? we practice in smaller sized room. with my ashdown 15-180 i never put the vol. past 9'oclock and the pb-110 is rated 20 watt higher. granted the 15" will have much better lows than a 10" but my "sound" isnt all about lows anyway. just a regular balanced sound for classic rock covers is all i am looking for.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a 15 will move a little more than twice as much air as a 10. It's not about lows, It's about how much air you are moving too.

15. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have two Aguilar GS 112's - they are going to be a bit more than $200 used, but they sound great and are only about 40 lbs. each. One is good for practice and smaller gigs. I use both of them when I need volume and thump.

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think you're asking a bit much, especially if you care anything about your tone.

If you're looking for under 30lbs and under $200 you're just going to have to get what you can get that meets the criteria. If you're particularly concerned about your tone, or how loud you are then what you buy shouldn't matter much except that you don't want it to blow up on you.

The PB110 should work out fine if you can find one under $200. I personally don't care for the sound of the PB110, or any of the Portabass cabs. It's not as loud, nor does it provide the required low end, nor does it have a pleasing tone (to me that is). If you're looking for volume, don't look at watts. Watts measure power, decibels measure loudness. The PB110 has a lower sensitivity, so you'll need to give it more juice in order to get the same volume as a more sensitive speaker. But, as you say you're not that concerned about tone or loudness, then this cab should work out OK.

As far as the GK you considered is concerned, I think I'd rather use a guitar amp.

But the other stuff people mentioned are all going either weigh over 30 lbs, or cost more than $200 used. But there are steals to be had, so who knows?

Does your band have a PA? If you really want to go lightweight, just bring a DI box and run your bass through the PA. I do it all the time.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, actually i bought that ampeg pb-110 off basstrader, a fellow talkbass dude for $125US, a good deal i think. that is part of the reason i am going with the pb-110 b/c really nothing in the same price range even remotely compares with the rated 20LBS of the pb-110 and its 200watts rms / 300watts program handling (still dont really know what program handling means :meh: ).

anyways when you, "Jive", say that it wont have any tone is that in reference to low-end or colouration? i find that when i turn up the low-end enough where i can feel it somewhat decently, the guys in my band say that i am too loud. so, presently, i cannot turn up the lows too much. I am hoping to change that somehow. one never knows what their musical future may hold and who knows i may be in a different band 6 months down the road, but with the same gear. the next band may want more lows. i know i do... well at least a little more than now.

the idea of the whole thing is that the pb-110 will only be used for practice. for gigs i will either buy or rent a more substantial cab. for practice, which is all what we do right now, why push around a 60-80 LB rig (which has way more vol. capability than i need for practice) when i can push around 33.5LBS(swr st220 = 13.5 + pb-110= 20lbs)?

Keep in mind that i have to move any rig i use by public transit, ie bus or light rail train.

Anyways... i'd love to be able to afford the super light components which sound awesome, but i simply cant right now.

thanks in advance for the continued bass wisdom :)

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "Does your band have a PA? If you really want to go lightweight, just bring a DI box and run your bass through the PA. I do it all the time."

i tried this by using a small guitar ampifier ie bass>guitar amp>pa. however, it really affected the vol. of the singer's vocals and in general it didnt work too well. i am sure if i had the right gear (instead of a 10 watt guitar amp) it would work, but i think i would prefer to have my sound output coming from my own cab.

good suggestion though :cool:

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "If you're looking for volume, don't look at watts. Watts measure power, decibels measure loudness. The PB110 has a lower sensitivity, so you'll need to give it more juice in order to get the same volume as a more sensitive speaker."

so if i am trying to figure the vol. of a cab i should ignore watts and focus on sensitivity?

otherwise w/o actually hearing the cab things could get difficult.

20. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes. The sensitivity of a cabinet will tell you how loud it is. Every 3 dB decrease in sensitivity from one cabinet to another is will require twice the watts from your amp to make up for it. You shold shoot for a sensitivity of 100 dB or more. Even so, depending upon the tonal character of the cabinets, some 100 dB cabinets sound louder than other 100 dB cabinets, usually due to pronounced mids.