Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for a MID PRICED bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progplayer, Feb 2, 2002.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I am now looking for a fretted bass. I am also considering an Elrick 4 string but am not totally sure if I want to dish out $1k+ The fretted bass will be only used half the time. I want something that is punchy/goodlookin/decent, etc...I'll be recording with it and using it live.

I want to keep the budget at $700. What about the MTD Blem MJ Heir 5? What's the one Mike Demin is pictured with ????

2. Punchy... good looking... decent.. aha !

you must mean the yamaha BBG4A-II / BBG4S-II

[​IMG]

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Can someone tell me,are Lakeland and Lakland different companies,or did he just spell it wrong?!?!?

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    LAKLAND LAKLAND LAKLAND!. Anyway. For around 700 bucks you can get the god of btb (ibanez) basses. The ....well i think the model number WAS 700. wait, no. its the one that comes in a natrual mohogany. or mohgany. or something like that. im to stoned right now.......

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    For less than $700 you could find a used Fender MIA P or J.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You could go for a used '62 Fender Reissue Jazz, or you could opt for a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne when they come out. Do a search and read my reviews of this line here at TB, or read reviews at harmonycentral.com or bgra.com. The Skyline series should meet your budget.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD! Demin is spot on.

10. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    can someone give me more info on this company? I checked out that model and it looks cool. but i've never heard of him.

11. You should really check out the 7-String Single Cut Matt has on his site now, it really killer, and the price is unbelievable for an instrument like that.

Geoff

12. Considering I just got one of his basses, I can say this:

1. The construction is guaranteed to be top-notch. Matt's an excellent woodworker.

2. The electronics are gonna be killer.

3. The tone...well, imagine a Thumb neck-through but Alembicized. It's huge.