1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions For A Mid-Quality Gig Bag?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trandy16, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I need a nice gig bag for a Fender Jazz bass that would be strictly for local gigging. It doesn't need to be a $400-$600.00 leather job....but not the standard cheapie either.

I will not be traveling on airlines, etc.....just need an idea for a good quality bag that's well padded.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

- Tim

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    what bass you have?
    go with a hard case. like SKB or coffin cases, get ready to spend 100- 150 $ but it is worth it

3. Sorry...this would be for a Fender Jazz bass.

I really don't want a hardshell case....would rather have a nicely padded gig bag.

4. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I just bought a brand spankin' new gator hard case on evilbay for less than $60 shipped. It had a cracked corner, but a little ABS glue later (get it in the plumbing aisle... it's for the black drain pipe), and it is a bass case that has never had another bass in it but mine for cheaper than I could've gotten a decent bag.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    OK, for some reason you would rather spend the same money for a padded bag as for a low-end molded hard case.

Go to Musicians Friend or Zzounds or Sweetwater or Sam Ash and search for bass gig bags. Sort on price. The cheapie ones cost less. The better ones cost more.

6. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    i picked up a fender brand gig bag for my jazz, im really happy with it. lots of nice padding, many pockets, and backpack straps. only about 50$ too.

7. Warwick Rokbag hands down! Lots of nice padding & a neck retainer strap. I think they can be had for around $40 or less.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sometimes gig bags are more convenient than hardshell cases. ie; if you have to be walking/carriyng a few things... the straps on a bag are nice.

that being said, gator?

ive heard stories of the straps on rockbags suddenly tearing off.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Warwick Rock bag - I have one and it's brilliant. A step up from the cheapies and won't cost you TOO much money. (Mine came with a Warwick in it, though, so it cost me a considerable amount.)

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Fender makes a bag that is molded for a jazz bass. Basically, a bag with foam built into it. It's around $40... or less. Offers good protection at a reasonable price

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If this is in your price range, I can't recommend enough the Incase Slim Bag ($199)(http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/slim-bag-cl56065), or similarly the Sadowsky Portabag ($189)(http://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=153) which is very similar to the Incase, but a little lighter and a little cheaper.

Or, a really good budget bag is from Carvin: https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=GB45

This is a really nice bag, and only costs about $40. Now, it is nowhere near as padded as the Incase Slim Bag or Sadowsky Portabag that I posted above, but still a very, very nice bag for the money.

12. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Look up Access bags, only available at dealers (Bass Specialties is one) Great mid priced bag, I have 5 of them!

13. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I've found the Body Glove bags to be pretty well-made and stylish for the price.

http://www.clubbass.ca/bags.html

I also like Gator products a lot in general but I've never used their gig bags...

14. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    For Fender style basses I really like the Levy's Leather CM19L. It's the same as their high dollar leather gig bags, but it's Cordura nylon with leather trim. Nice plush lining and firm 1" foam. Good protection and can found for about $90.

15. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Ritter bags are great if you can find them, as are the Warwick and Fender bags.

16. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those are the best mid-range gig bags I've seen. Amazing gig bags.

17. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.

Attached Files:

18. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I've got a bunch of these . . . well-padded, well-made and with "enough" storage space (for me) in the 3 pockets . . .

Note that on a few of mine the some of the zippers are "sticky", but they all work OK . . .

I got most of them back when they still cost $35 each!